JTACS

Sir,

Is your JTAC TACP or CCT? Just curious, Im heading to TACP school shortly myeslf and one day (I know its a long way off) hope to support SOF myself.

Ravage,

Yes you hit it on the head. TACPs have to be selected to support/work with SOF, they can usually put in for it (not guaranteed your gonna get it though) after a few years on the job supporting conventional Army units. CCT on the other hand is SOF all the way after the pipeline.

Sweet. I think part of the confusion is that the term "JTAC" is a qualification not a AFSC or MOS in the Air Force. Both TACP and CCT can have the "JTAC" qualification. So basically there are JTAC-TACPs and JTAC-CCTs, it's a very common confusion even within the Air Force itself.

all this stuff is dead on. "JTAC" is an add on qual for both CCT and TACP. There are CCT that arent JTAC qualed and TACP's that are. Some TACP's (those that pass the 720th STG Selection and are assigned as SOF TACP's) are JTAC qualified and work with SOF, usually for a 4 year tour. CCT, on the other hand, only are attached to SF units and can (and usually do) get JTAC qualified early in their career.

all this stuff is dead on. "JTAC" is an add on qual for both CCT and TACP. There are CCT that arent JTAC qualed and TACP's that are. Some TACP's (those that pass the 720th STG Selection and are assigned as SOF TACP's) are JTAC qualified and work with SOF, usually for a 4 year tour. CCT, on the other hand, only are attached to SF units and can (and usually do) get JTAC qualified early in their career.

TACP has JTACs who support conventional forces as well. Most TACP SSgt and up are JTAC quald during their careers.
FWIW JTAC is an evolution from the TACP ETAC program (SOFTAC was the term used by AFSOC).

I worked as an Instructor at SOTACC at YPG and we had 18series, young CCT airmen, Marines and Rangers come through the course. Not all graduates are certified as a JTAC. Its due more to lack of controls than anything else. The priority goes to SF guys there when it comes down to a shortage of aircraft for controls. All graduates can go back to their units and get the minimum number(12) of controls with an eval and are then considered a current/qualified JTAC. None of the CCT guys get an eval before they leave there, its due to an agreement with AFSOC stating they will only receive the classroom instruction and maybe get 4 controls while there. They will go back to their squadron and eventually get an eval, but thats up to their COC. In my time there I never saw a TACP come through the course.
Of course all this is changing now that AFSOC has taken over the school from JFKSWCS....

Back