JTF-2 plans maritime operations

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
JTF-2 plans maritime operations

Canada's elite JTF-2 commando unit is expanding its operations so that members can land on hostile shores using submarines, according to documents obtained by the CBC.

A recruiting drive started this week, seeking sailors who have small boat skills and can support JTF-2 "maritime operations," the files show.

The department confirms that Canada's four subs are capable of carrying troops. But it refuses to officially comment on the idea of using the subs to land JTF-2 forces.

The military will create a 250-member Marine Commando Regiment

The Comox regiment will focus entirely on maritime operations, and will be able to react to sea borne terrorist incidents, both at home and internationally. It will also be given the job of rescuing Canadians trapped in war-torn nations that are accessible by sea. While it's expected to start with about 250 personnel, the military plans to expand the regiment over the years.

It's just a rumour right now.... Had a briefing from cansofcom last week and they said it is still in planning...

Is this a canadian version of the SEALS? Or does Canada use the clearance divers in waterborn direct action roles?

They are planning it to be a "Marine" type unit. We do have clearance divers and combat divers that could be placed in direct action roles, depending on the requirements.

Doesn't Canada have the Royal Marines? Would this new unit be more of a USMC REC0N role?

Doesn't Canada have the Royal Marines? Would this new unit be more of a USMC REC0N role?

No we don't have any dedicated amphib unit. There are talks of two units being stood up. 1 to act like a Marine FAST unit... I think(correct me if I'm wrong)... All the NEO taskings and stuff like that, they would be aboard a ship for 6 months or something like that.
Then the second more specialized one, which would be made up of combat divers and patrol pathfinders. Beach recces, clearence, setting up assembly areas and all that other pathfinder stuff.
Both are still in the planning faze though. I think the latter has a cadre already though.

Thanks guys for the info. If you have a website that explains it send it my way. Again...thanks.

No we don't have any dedicated amphib unit. There are talks of two units being stood up. 1 to act like a Marine FAST unit... I think(correct me if I'm wrong)... All the NEO taskings and stuff like that, they would be aboard a ship for 6 months or something like that.
Then the second more specialized one, which would be made up of combat divers and patrol pathfinders. Beach recces, clearence, setting up assembly areas and all that other pathfinder stuff.
Both are still in the planning faze though. I think the latter has a cadre already though.

Yah that's pretty much it. I think more will come out when they release the "Canada First" Defence Policy. It's already been due, but it's been revisited a few times.

Any word on this? I have been going to a joint school with a female Air Force load planner and she hasn't any knowledge of this (not that I would expect her to know anything about it).
She has become a very good friend, teaching me a little more French, and the proper use of "Eh?"
She told me to join up in Canada to try to gain citizenship, eh. I should tell her, "If I could do this........."

Naah! Fuck Snow, eh!

Back