Just bought my first pistol - HK45T

dmcgill

Infantry Marine
Verified Military
I've been doing a lot of research over the past few months on different pistols. I'm not an extremist/loyalist to any particular brand or caliber, I like what works well, is high quality, and an added bonus is something you don't see everyday at the range. Ever since coming into the Marine Corps and using/deploying with an HK carbine I came to really appreciate their quality components and attention to detail. It was because of that good experience that I wanted to check out their line of pistols for my own personal use. I wanted something with a threaded barrel as I intend to use this pistol as a home defense weapon in the future and in that application I prefer it to be suppressed. Most new pistols already come standard with a 1913 picatinny rail system so I can also mount a light/laser combo if I want to.

I'm a fan of the model 1911, as are a lot of people. First time I ever shot one I knew I would eventually buy one of my own. There are a TON to choose from and I'm still doing research on which 1911 is right for me. One thing that stood out immediately with this pistol in my hand is it's slim profile. It is comparable to a 1911, and that, for me, was very nice. Standard 10-round metal magazine +1 in the chamber so 11 rounds. You can also carry it cocked and locked like a 1911. It has a spring loaded mag release so it will never be stubborn, the mag flies out of this weapon, literally. Overall very happy with this gun so far.
HK45.jpg

Last edited:
New o-rings but those are easy to find. In the 11 years I've had/took over the Expert (and RP had it before I met him) I'm never had to change/fix anything. That includes when we did comps at English Range.

I've been doing a lot of research over the past few months on different pistols. I'm not an extremist/loyalist to any particular brand or caliber, I like what works well, is high quality, and an added bonus is something you don't see everyday at the range. Ever since coming into the Marine Corps and using/deploying with an HK carbine I came to really appreciate their quality components and attention to detail. It was because of that good experience that I wanted to check out their line of pistols for my own personal use. I wanted something with a threaded barrel as I intend to use this pistol as a home defense weapon in the future and in that application I prefer it to be suppressed. Most new pistols already come standard with a 1913 picatinny rail system so I can also mount a light/laser combo if I want to.

I'm a fan of the model 1911, as are a lot of people. First time I ever shot one I knew I would eventually buy one of my own. There are a TON to choose from and I'm still doing research on which 1911 is right for me. One thing that stood out immediately with this pistol in my hand is it's slim profile. It is comparable to a 1911, and that, for me, was very nice. Standard 10-round metal magazine +1 in the chamber so 11 rounds. You can also carry it cocked and locked like a 1911. It has a spring loaded mag release so it will never be stubborn, the mag flies out of this weapon, literally. Overall very happy with this gun so far.
View attachment 11895
Did you buy it from an authorized H&K dealer?

That's because Glocks are like AK's. Accurate enough for marginally trained handlers, and disposable.

The o-rings are a wear part which is one of many reasons why an Expert or Tactical will embarass Glocks off the bench as well as in other. It doesn't NEED it, but it does make a minor difference.

You buy a USP Expert, you get a bunch of tools to adjust different things like travel stop, sights, bobbed hammer for IDPA box-fitting and a detent plate that let's you go from DA/SA to SAO. Just changing that plate changes up how the gun runs... decocking, no decocking, DAO SAO DA/SA etc etc. Tactical's just a baby Expert anyway, and the fiscally correct solution IMHO... and we own both. The expert's due for some tuning up, I think it's a little beyond service life on the mainspring... considering that during the year prior to me PCS'ing I was in full practice mode for going for the walk-on tryouts the AMU held yearly for straphangers on the Bianchi cup team. Over 130k rounds through that pistol in the course of a year alone. Still scary accurate, and I prefer to stick with weapons across the board that are... a known, reliable, accurate platform lets the sole variable of performance be operator headspace and timing, not "is x part of my weapon jacked up".

That's because Glocks are like AK's. Accurate enough for marginally trained handlers, and disposable.

The o-rings are a wear part which is one of many reasons why an Expert or Tactical will embarass Glocks off the bench as well as in other. It doesn't NEED it, but it does make a minor difference.

You buy a USP Expert, you get a bunch of tools to adjust different things like travel stop, sights, bobbed hammer for IDPA box-fitting and a detent plate that let's you go from DA/SA to SAO. Just changing that plate changes up how the gun runs... decocking, no decocking, DAO SAO DA/SA etc etc. Tactical's just a baby Expert anyway, and the fiscally correct solution IMHO... and we own both. The expert's due for some tuning up, I think it's a little beyond service life on the mainspring... considering that during the year prior to me PCS'ing I was in full practice mode for going for the walk-on tryouts the AMU held yearly for straphangers on the Bianchi cup team. Over 130k rounds through that pistol in the course of a year alone. Still scary accurate, and I prefer to stick with weapons across the board that are... a known, reliable, accurate platform lets the sole variable of performance be operator headspace and timing, not "is x part of my weapon jacked up".

Awesome. Thank you.

The o-rings are a wear part which is one of many reasons why an Expert or Tactical will embarass Glocks off the bench as well as in other.

Too bad HKs don't embarrass those disposable Glocks in USPSA or IDPA. OHHHHHHHHHHHH SHIT!!!! SICK BURN!!!

Back