Lady Night Stalkers receive Lady Darkhorse Award

Ravage

running up that hill
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News Archive/2010/April/100426-02.html

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (USASOC News Service, April 26, 2010) – Lady Night Stalkers of 2nd Battalion, 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne), received the Lady Darkhorse Award in recognition for their volunteer efforts during a ceremony April 22.

The certificate of appreciation was awarded for their dedicated service, which greatly contributed to the unit’s overall mission accomplishment.

The ceremony recognized 24 volunteers, who serve in a variety of roles: Family Readiness Group leaders, advisors, treasurers, secretaries, event planners, key callers, meals on wheels coordinators, fundraising coordinators and hospitality volunteers.

“The spirit, dedication and devotion of our volunteers is humbling to witness,” said Lt. Col. Thomas Drew, the battalion commander. “The ladies of this battalion go above and beyond what should be expected of a volunteer given the complexities of their personal circumstances.”

Due to the unit’s unique mission and high deployment rate, the need to build relationships within the framework of those dealing with similar experiences is critical.

“Our unit is constantly deployed. This calls for volunteers and leaders to build a network for those families affected by these frequent rotations while their Night Stalker is away,” said Delilah Smith, a family readiness group volunteer. “These unique circumstances are the very reason why I am committed to volunteering for and supporting Night Stalker families.”

For many volunteers, that high level of commitment does not end with the unit. Many support programs on Fort Campbell and in their local Kentucky or Tennessee communities as well.

“As military families, we sacrifice so much to support our Soldier, and the least we can do is give a little back to help other military families,” said Karyn Wuensch, a family readiness group volunteer.

For its part, the 160th SOAR (A) wants to ensure that the dedicated and selfless service of the volunteers is never overlooked. Recognition ceremonies may only be a small way to say thank you for all they do, but the Soldiers and leadership within the unit are very aware of the valuable role the Lady Night Stalkers play in the lives of this close-knit special operations community.
“These ladies smile along with their lovely children and continue to serve our battalion and great country by volunteering,” said Drew. “This nation, along with all of us Soldiers, owes these special ladies an enormous debt.”

LNDQ!

Wow. I never realized the 160th has this much support from volunteers. Kudos to these ladies.

Just curious, though. Are there lady pilots in the Regiment?

Wow. I never realized the 160th has this much support from volunteers. Kudos to these ladies.

Just curious, though. Are there lady pilots in the Regiment?

I'm confident when I say that SOAR is peerless in all of DoD in how we integrate and take care of families. Lady Night Stalkers have their own esprit de corps; that LNSDQ signature ain't no joke.

No female pilots in Regiment.

I'm confident when I say that SOAR is peerless in all of DoD in how we integrate and take care of families. Lady Night Stalkers have their own esprit de corps; that LNSDQ signature ain't no joke.

No female pilots in Regiment.

Concur.

I told my wife, "If I were to buy it on active duty, I'd want it to be while I was assigned to the Regiment." They take extremely good care of their families, and the families of the fallen.

Wasnt it the chain of command who went and scooped Chief 'L' from Ft Sam's burn unit and flew his ass to Blanchfield after his little bird burned?? When you have guys on your side with the brass on their collars as well as the brass in other places, I bet it is a good feeling. Then, on top of that Chief 'L's daughter was lifeguarding with me, and she never had a worry bout anything. Y'alls family support group is more than a monthly newsletter.. They really take care of their own....

Good to see that their efforts were recognized..

I don't remember any of that, must have been 1st Bat. Sounds totally plausible though.

Back