Maj (R) Rick English 2/75, 1SFG, 3 SFG, 1st SFOD-D

I am so touched by all your comments. Rick was my cousin and more like my baby brother. I always knew when he was going on a mission. He would call me and say hey how are you? I miss you. I would say you are going now . He would say can't say but I love you. I would wait and eventually he would call and say hey how you been. When he was in San Antonio I went to see him and the last time I saw him was at my Mom's funeral. Little did I think he would be the next one to go in our family just 7 short years later. No words can tell the pain I feel and the depth of that pain. We shared a family history and he loved his family dearly. The side you saw I never saw and I am sure the side of Rick I saw you will never know. He was the only boy and onl y child born to our small family in 16 years and we all doted on him. He loved us so much he never told us he had cancer and we did not know until August 18th and he died on September the 1st. I hope he is with our grandparents and my Mom now. He left behind a wife and his mother who is 85 years old and he was her only child. She is so lost without him. My daughter is living with her to be sure she is cared for. She is a strong women but she lost Rick's dad to this same cancer when Rick was 6 years old. I hope all of you remember that we hate cancer more than you for taking my cousin/baby brother. I cared for him when he was 2 and he called me sissy. Please know that I am grateful for all of those who recoginze him and his life but sometimes this feelings can be expressed without bad words. I am sure he used those same words but he was not raised with that teaching and that is why he saw the side that made him so caring and kind. He was raised with a Christian Mother and Grandmother and cousin who always prayed for him when he was on a misson and for all the men he had under him. He has been gone 62 days and the pain is still very raw. I hope you can learn to live like him but also learn to recognize the Saviour he was reaised to know when he was young. I pray that he finally accepted him with his last breath. With much respect to all the men and women who have endured battle for out country and lost limbs and been scared by battle. My respect and honor go to all of you. Major Rick English's cousin. Linda Messer

Linda,

Thank you for posting your thoughts and lending a little more insight to a very humble man amongst men. It stings as it is whenever a loss like his hits the SOF community, but being as close as you were to him, we can only guess the void he left in your lives.

May your grief be tempered by the memories you have of him all the rest of your days. Heartfelt condolences to you, his wife, mother and all your family.

I had the privilege of having English as my PL. A giant of an Officer, a great man, and one of a kind.

Rest in Peace Sir, never forgotten

Back