Man Vs. Wild New Episodes Start Tonight On Discovery - Former SAS Starring

You know, I still enjoy the show. I could care less about the gimmick of him surviving on little supplies and such. I'm more intrigued by the neat tricks he comes up with and survival tips.

I was a pretty big fan of Survivorman as well. I like how Les Stroud (sp?) sets up his own equipment and is really out there alone, but he also wastes a fair bit of a time setting up his camera gear constantly.

Bear Grylls is a bit more entertaining as he has a film crew behind him, and he tends to do a bit more dangerous and extraordinary things. If I was in a situation like that, I would probably be a bit more like Stroud, who always keeps safety first. Even scaling a 10 foot cliff he considers an extreme danger, and in reality it is. Getting injured out in the bumfucks is a raw deal.

Grylls makes for good entertainment though, IMO. I was amused at one episode though where he was "on the last leg of starvation", yet he scales half of a cliff face to eat a couple bird eggs up on a ledge. My guess is the energy gained from that was barely enough to cover the energy he expended grueling his way up.

Good TV either way I suppose.

I watch an episode last night set in Scotland. Bear demonstrated how to tell if you were walking on an avalanche prone mountain. Also if you're caught in an avalanche and you don't know which way is up, dig a little bit and then spit; gravity will take the spit down, so you know to dig the opposite way! I wouldn't have thought of that!

I watch an episode last night set in Scotland. Bear demonstrated how to tell if you were walking on an avalanche prone mountain. Also if you're caught in an avalanche and you don't know which way is up, dig a little bit and then spit; gravity will take the spit down, so you know to dig the opposite way! I wouldn't have thought of that!

Wouldn't the direction the snow fell as you were digging be an indication also? A lighter or matches would be useful too, as the flame is always going to go upward.

Wouldn't the direction the snow fell as you were digging be an indication also?.

Exactly! lol I always thought that when people talk about it :uhh:

If you're upside down you're gonna get a bloody headache soon enough as well.:doh:

I've watched a couple of docs on avalanches, it's not like being buried in fluffy white stuff. As the snow pack picks up steam and travels down the mountain, it generates a lot of friction and heat.

When it finally comes to a stop, if you're caught up in it, it's not like being buried under snow so much as being encased in concrete. Pretty spooky.

I have read a lot of Survival guides and books and most of the have advised against drinking piss. With out a long spell in to physiology, when you piss-you are getting rid of waste products that you dont need to reingest. I say that was a hollywood stunt and SAS boy did not really drink his piss. If he actually did then he is right up there with the shit sandwich eating Royal Marines I met a couple of years ago.

I have read a lot of Survival guides and books and most of the have advised against drinking piss. With out a long spell in to physiology, when you piss-you are getting rid of waste products that you dont need to reingest. I say that was a hollywood stunt and SAS boy did not really drink his piss. If he actually did then he is right up there with the shit sandwich eating Royal Marines I met a couple of years ago.

Although in a pinch, you can fill up your car's radiator and you're good to go. Or so I've been led to believe.

Ive been trying to find the account without luck so far, of an SAS trooper during the second world war who walked something like 200-300 miles in the western desert/north Africa he had an empty sardine can IIRC he would urinate into it and drink it, :bleh: kept him alive...

Ive been trying to find the account without luck so far, of an SAS trooper during the second world war who walked something like 200-300 miles in the western desert/north Africa he had an empty sardine can IIRC he would urinate into it and drink it, :bleh: kept him alive...

I read that My self Fella..I'll have a look ,might have the Book..

GRYLLS' THRILLS BOGUS: EXPERT
SURVIVALIST CHARGED WITH CUSHY SHORTCUTS
By DON KAPLAN
();
IN THE MUCK: Bear Grylls shows off his survival skill on "Man vs. Wild," but an expert who says he worked on the show claims some stunts are faked.​
July 24, 2007 -- Discovery Channel he-man Bear Grylls, the host of the survival-skills show "Man vs. Wild," is barely the man he seems to be on TV.​
On the program, Grylls appears to camp out in quickly-built shelters deep in the wilderness while battling hypothermia and dehydration. But when the cameras stop rolling, Grylls has actually moved to luxurious hotels.​
In the last two seasons, he and producers have contrived other scenes to make it appear as if Grylls is more skilled than he really is, a consultant for the show told The Times of London.​
"If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive," said Mark Weinert, an Oregon-based survival consultant, who said producers hired him as an adviser for the show.​
Discovery Channel officials declined to comment, but in the U.K., where the show airs with the title "Born Survivor," stunned network officials at Channel 4 said they are conducting an internal investigation.​
"Discovery Communications has learned that isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field," a spokeswoman for the network said.​
"Moving forward the program will be 100 percent transparent and all elements of the filming will be explained up-front to our viewers. In addition, shows that are to be repeated will be edited appropriately."​
According to Weinert, while filming in California's Sierra Nevada mountains - an episode in which Grylls, 33, is seen biting off the head of a snake for breakfast - Grylls actually spent some nights with the show's crew in a lodge outfitted with television, stone fireplaces, hot tubs and Internet access.​
The Pines Resort at Bass Lake is advertised as "a cozy getaway for families" and is a luxurious hotel with its own spa on a lake.​
In another instance, where Grylls was supposed to be surviving on a desert island, he was actually in Hawaii and spent nights at a motel, Weinert said.​
The same episode had Grylls building a Polynesian-style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo, hibiscus twine and palm leaves for a sail. Weinert said he actually led a team of builders to construct the raft.​
It was then taken apart so that Grylls could be shown building it on camera.​
In another episode, viewers watched as Grylls tried to coax what seemed like a wild mustang into a lasso in the Sierra Nevada.​
"I'm in luck," he told viewers, apparently coming across four wild horses grazing in a meadow. "A chance to use an old Native American mode of transport comes my way. This is one of the few places in the whole of the U.S. where horses still roam wild."​
In fact, Weinert said, the horses were not wild but were brought in by trailer. don.kaplan@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07242007...don_kaplan.htm

Hahahaha what a wanker!

'Survivorman' has a new series starting soon, something real to look forward to.

Clown, he has destroyed his credibility IMO.

I seen the new Surviorman episode the other night, he was in the kalahari, it was good, in the end he admitted defeat and walked to his safety camp due to dehydration.

I'm watching 'man vs wild' now. I notice there is a disclaimer now to say he gets 'help' sometimes...

If that's not an admission that he was caught posing I don't know what is.

He's such a dick, he's struggling to climb a sand dune stopping with exhaustion saying how hard it is....except of course there is a camera man climbing beside him filming it who isnt tired :rolleyes:

He does eat some crazy shit though :bleh:

I'm looking forward to catching some episodes of Survivorman, who I understand heads out into the void by himself.

He is very good! There is no BS with him.

Yah that's the episode I saw a preview for. So I watched "How'd they do that?" for 2 hours and saw how they make blackboards and paint scrapers, amongst other things. lol

:doh: LMAO!!!

Back