Marine recruit dies during training at Paris Island...

Some kids just aren't prepared for the culture shock of Receiving and the immediate harassment and intimidation when you first "meet" your SDI and the Kill Hats. Jumping off the third deck is a new one on me. I mean, you might survive it.
They usually do survive. The occasional, like this kid, actually die. Third deck isn't too high so you have to angle it right.

I remember a lot of kids being home sick, we had two in my platoon who attempted suicide (just wanting to get out). I didn't understand it, 30th AG was a vacation and the first time in my life I got to sit around and do nothing, eat 3 times a day for free and just chill. Honestly the hardest time I had, was trying to keep myself under control and not beat the hell out of the retards, wannabe gangsta thugs, the small town hero's and the ultra complainers.

Many times more whites commit suicide in the services than any other race. I'll go ahead and jump on the race bandwagon the press seem to love and give that some publicity here.

Behavioral diagnoses and psychosocial stressors play a big part as influencers. I would be surprised if these weren't factors in Recruit Siddiqui's decision.

The DOD's official annual report on suicide:

Department of Defense Suicide Event Report

Nowadays, kids aren't truly "mentally" ready for boot camp. They think they are because they are "keyboard commandos", but once reality hits them in the face and/or gut, their eyes are opened and they realize that no one there is going to do anything for them. And, they are on their own...mom and dad aren't there to take care of their booboo's. No one wants to hear their griping or complaining. They are expected to act like adults and not whiney kids.

Nope...many simply aren't ready to be "big people" yet and can't deal with it.

When I was in boot camp back in 2002, two recruits died (one drowned aND the other streap throat type A) at MCRD San Diego in the three months I was there. Because of the illness, it got to the point that while we were up north we got a 10 second phone call home to tell our parents we were alive.

41 Remain Hospitalized In MCRD Strep A Outbreak

Edit: The numbers I posted were incorrect. Luckily they were exaggerated.

Last edited:
When I was in boot camp back in 2002, four or five recruits died (one drowned and the rest were medical illnesses) at MCRD San Diego in the three months I was there. It got to the point that while we were up north we got a 10 second phone call home to tell our parents we were alive.

When we were up north, we had two try to "run". They suffered a long miserable bit of payback for those decisions. At that point, I didn't think we (USMC) needed to keep them. If they are that desperate...send them home...I don't want them fighting next to me.

Last edited:
...sigh...

I hope he was fired for the right reasons and not just made the scapegoat. That said, this piece of info does make one raise their eyebrows:

Nabih Ayad, a lawyer representing his family told the Detroit Free Press in April that Siddiqui had fainted, and that a trainer had revived him by smacking him.

When Siddiqui woke up, he ran and jumped over a ladderwell wall to fall three stories to his death. His family does not believe it was intentional.

Marine commander fired after recruit's death at boot camp

Scape?

Meet Goat.

Marine drill instructors at Parris Island are under investigation for hazing, abuse at boot camp

More than a dozen drill instructors at Marine Recruit Depot Paris Island, South Carolina, are under investigation for violating orders on hazing, abuse and lack of proper supervision three months after a 20-year-old recruit died during boot camp.

The announcement follows a series of firings at the Marine Corps' fabled recruit training depot after Raheel Siddiqui died just days after arriving at boot camp.

“The allegations, against approximately 15 drill instructors and affiliated leadership, identify potential violations of Marine Corps orders to include hazing, physical abuse, assault and failure of supervision,” officials with Training and Education Command, which oversee both recruit training depots, said in a Wednesday statement. “The investigations date back to November of 2015 and appear isolated to companies within the 3rd Recruit Training Battalion.”

Siddiqui was assigned to 3rd Recruit Training Battalion at the time of his death.

All of the Marines under investigation are currently assigned to duties in which they have no direct interaction with recruits, the statement says. But that wasn't the case when Siddiqui, a Muslim, was at boot camp, according to a Wednesday report from The Wall Street Journal.

"One of the critical questions in the internal probe, according to Marine officials, is how Mr. Siddiqui ended up under the supervision of a senior drill instructor who was already under scrutiny for alleged hazing involving minority recruits," the story states. "In one instance, the instructor faced allegations of putting another Muslim recruit in a clothes dryer and making racially charged remarks, according to multiple Marine officials."

Nowadays, kids aren't truly "mentally" ready for boot camp. They think they are because they are "keyboard commandos", but once reality hits them in the face and/or gut, their eyes are opened and they realize that no one there is going to do anything for them. And, they are on their own...mom and dad aren't there to take care of their booboo's. No one wants to hear their griping or complaining. They are expected to act like adults and not whiney kids.

Nope...many simply aren't ready to be "big people" yet and can't deal with it.

Yeah kids these days....fighting wars in their teens, with no discernible goal or end in sight. Such little bitches.

Many...? I would say a whole hell of a lot more people make it then kill themselves. Like 99.9 to .01.

Nowadays, kids aren't truly "mentally" ready for boot camp...

Nobody's mentally ready for bootcamp. They're not supposed to be. It's designed to be the biggest mental and physical culture shock in your life. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be as effective. The Marines have been taking in teenage punks for two hundred years and turning them into killers.

Oh fuck me - I cannot even begin to put words together on what was an obvious witch hunt. And yes, I believe with all my heart, soul, and love of Corps that had the recruit not been Muslim, this would not be a story of this magnitude, nor this many careers affected.

Marines find culture of hazing, abuse at boot camp after | MarineCorpsTimes

Multiple investigations into the death of a Muslim military recruit at the Marine Corps’ fabled Parris Island training center have uncovered a troubling pattern of mistreatment, and officials are responding with a series of policy changes designed to improve accountability and prevent future missteps.

Twenty Marines could face administrative punishment or potentially more consequential legal proceedings, a military official told Marine Corps Times. Two investigations were launched in March after Raheel Siddiqui, 20, fell nearly 40 feet to his death from a barracks stairwell just days after arriving at Parris Island, which is located along the South Carolina coast. A third investigation, which was ongoing at the time of Siddiqui's death, looked into allegations of hazing in 2015. It was ultimately combined with the other two.

The incident has prompted questions about the way recruits are treated and disciplined as they train to become Marines – especially minority recruits. One congresswoman has spent months pressing top Marine leaders to prove that Siddiqui’s Muslim faith did not lead to any mistreatment during his time at Parris Island. It followed years of immense pressure from members of Congress about how military leaders are tackling the issue of hazing in the ranks.

Last edited:
Just read the article on Military.com. I can't believe he actually put a recruit in an industrial dryer.

Back