Marines consider closing Parris Island & MCRD San Diego

No way. I spent my time at Sand Flea Island. This is as bad as politics wanting to change the name of Army bases.

As much as the Marines love tradition, I cant imagine them shutting down Parris Island.

Honestly, is the cost of putting in new barracks and latrines so prohibitively expensive that the Corps needs a new training base, or are they using it as an excuse to just create one consolidated training location?

Not having ever seen PI, are there enough training facilities/ ranges at PI to consolidate it with San Diego?

There have been many, many attempts to close San Diego. The land it occupies is very sought after. Years ago when Jim Jones was the Commandant he made a visit and a local newsperson asked him if the Corps would ever consider giving it up. He gave her a deadpan look and said "You can have it when you can take it from us". I always liked that guy.

There have been many, many attempts to close San Diego. The land it occupies is very sought after. Years ago when Jim Jones was the Commandant he made a visit and a local newsperson asked him if the Corps would ever consider giving it up. He gave her a deadpan look and said "You can have it when you can take it from us". I always liked that guy.

My wife and I have an old friend who lives near Mission Beach, he is a retired naval officer, has lived in San Diego since the '70s. He said that the airport authority has for decades plans on expanding into that area, just waiting for the Marines to sell. That is prime real estate.

Absolutely! It is one of very few places where coastal Southern California can be seen in its natural state, void of housing developments and imported plants, trees, etc that are only able to grow because of extensive irrigation.

I liked Pendleton "OK," but loved being on Del Mar. I did appreciate the ruggedness and beauty of it unspoiled.

We raised 2 boys there and they still live in Oceanside/Carlsbad. We're going out to visit in November and have a cabin on DelMar Beach rented. :-)

We raised 2 boys there and they still live in Oceanside/Carlsbad. We're going out to visit in November and have a cabin on DelMar Beach rented. :-)

I was born near Lejeune, grew up aboard Lejeune, then stationed there myself. I have a love for "down east" NC and a unique history in that area.

I liked my time at Pendleton, definitely loved the weather, but it never had that 'home' feeling that Lejeune and eastern NC has.

I was born near Lejeune, grew up aboard Lejeune, then stationed there myself. I have a love for "down east" NC and a unique history in that area.

I liked my time at Pendleton, definitely loved the weather, but it never had that 'home' feeling that Lejeune and eastern NC has.

I'm with you there Doc. One of the happiest days of my life was SoCal in the rearview mirror.

Back