Marines win 2009 International Sniper Competition

Teufel

Force Recon
Verified SOF
A team of Marine Scout Snipers from SOI won the overall and service categories of the 2009 International Sniper Competition. This is the first time that Marines have won the competition.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/10/army_snipercomp_102309w/

Marine team takes gold at sniper competition

Posted : Sunday Oct 25, 2009 9:40:33 EDT
A Marine team from Scout Sniper School (West) at Camp Pendleton, Calif., won the ninth annual U.S Army International Sniper Competition at Fort Benning, Ga., officials announced Friday.

The event took place Oct. 14-22.

This year, the teams were divided into two classes. The service class featured teams firing 7.62mm NATO or smaller rounds as a primary or secondary weapon system, and the open class was made up of teams firing rounds in a caliber larger than 7.62mm NATO.

The Marines won the service class and were the overall winners. The team from A Company, 2nd Battalion, 46th Infantry Regiment, 194th Armor Brigade, from Fort Knox, Ky., won the open class.

Competitors were tested in a wide range of skills including field firing, advanced marksmanship and nontraditional firing positions.

The winners are:

Overall

Team 3, Scout Sniper School (West), Camp Pendleton

Service Class

1st Place: Team 3, Scout Sniper School (West), Camp Pendleton

2nd Place: Team 24, D Company, 2nd Battalion, Special Warfare Training Group, Fort Bragg, N.C.

3rd Place: Team 6, C Troop, 1st Battalion, 73rd Cavalry, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg

Open Class

1st Place: Team 10, A Company, 2nd Battalion, 46th Infantry Regiment, 194th Armor Brigade, Fort Knox

2nd Place: Team 23, D Company, 2nd Battalion, Special Warfare Training Group, Fort Bragg

3rd Place: Team 21, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg

What's the difference b/w classes?

Not be an ass, but really...?

"The service class featured teams firing 7.62mm NATO or smaller rounds as a primary or secondary weapon system, and the open class was made up of teams firing rounds in a caliber larger than 7.62mm NATO."

Not be an ass, but really...?

"The service class featured teams firing 7.62mm NATO or smaller rounds as a primary or secondary weapon system, and the open class was made up of teams firing rounds in a caliber larger than 7.62mm NATO."

Really. I didn't read the article but was curious about the results.

Who were the International Teams??

We had a team over AFAIK... At least that's what it said on the front page.

So although I dunno where the Irish team came, I'd like to take this moment to forget any concept of sense, to just be blinded by love for my country and say... We were fucking robbed!!! :D

If memory serves, I think Irish Guards snipers were on an episode of Top Gear. They nailed Jeremy, BTW. :D

Irish Guards are part of the UK armed forces.

The Irish Team that fiannoglach is talking about are from Ireland;)

Back