MC-12's moving to AFSOC

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
Air Force Association newsletter this morning (I didn't see this coming):

Air Force Special Operations Command—not the Army—will take over the bulk of the MC-12 Liberty intelligence gathering fleet, AFSOC spokeswoman Lt. Col. Kristi Beckman told the Daily Report. The 51-strong MC-12W fleet is currently divided between Air Combat Command, which operates 41 aircraft, and US Special Operations Command, which operates 10 airframes—dubbed "Javaman," Beckman said. The Fiscal 2014 defense authorization called on the Air Force to draft a plan to "potentially transfer" its MC-12s to the Army. The plan now is for the Army to get eight airframes. USSOCOM will take the rest of the Liberty fleet, as well as its Javamen, and pass them on to AFSOC. "AFSOC will get those 33, plus an additional 10 MC-12s from USSOCOM that they currently own," explained Beckman. "That's a total of 43 aircraft for AFSOC," she said. The bulk of those aircraft will be assigned to Active Duty units at Cannon AFB, N.M., and Hurlburt Field, Fla., replacing the U-28A special operations surveillance aircraft. A total of 13 will be assigned to the Air National Guard to create a new special operations mission at Will Rogers ANGB, Okla. "We will begin about a three-year transition to the MC-12 in FY '15 starting with the ANG Wing and finishing with the Active Duty units," said Beckman

There have been rumors of the MC-12s coming to AFSOC for a bit over a year now. The U-28 was always something of a stopgap measure. It's a smart move for AFSOC.

I call bullshit, the seats were hellacomfy on the AC-130.

Six hours in a Herk? I have over a lot of time in C-130s, including gunpigs. Six hours of dry fire / armed overwatch / pattern of life building / whatever . . . . . six hours in an orbit sucks. Worse if you have tankers to keep you out there longer.

(Unless you're shooting. Whole different ballgame there. Shooting stuff is a lot of fun. Even a gunner would like that.)

Probably so. Probably also one of the many, many reasons I did not chose to get into the Army.

Interesting. I'll have to talk to my brother and see what this could potentially mean for him.

Six hours in a Herk? I have over a lot of time in C-130s, including gunpigs. Six hours of dry fire / armed overwatch / pattern of life building / whatever . . . . . six hours in an orbit sucks. Worse if you have tankers to keep you out there longer.

(Unless you're shooting. Whole different ballgame there. Shooting stuff is a lot of fun. Even a gunner would like that.)

Are you a "Hobbit"?

Ah. Nah. Most of my time is as a 1A2 / former 114, though somebody came up with the great idea of creating the 1A9 and turning me into one of those. You?

Back