Mental Preparation

Jael

Verified Military
I did a few searches for Mental, Mental Preparation, mind prep but nothing came up to my satisfaction. Although admittedly im not that internet savvy.

I was wondering what you all have done to prepare mentally, I am a believer that PT comes second to the mind/heart aspect of training, if those aren't there then you'll crumble.

What i've done so far is as follows (maybe this'll help any people in my situation)

I bought a book called Get Selected! For Special Forces (Army book, although I'm aspiring USAF SOC), it details a huge amount of mental preperation and how the author tells about life in the SF, what he did and went through, also has a really good workout in the end that has mental prep as apart of the homework/workout routine.

Re-reading the Pararescue creed, recording it to my phone so i can listen to it.

Saying an affirmation from NavySeals.com "I am disciplined and committed to achieving elite level fitness and being mentally tough. I will not waiver in my dedication and will stick to my training plan".

Reading/Re-reading the Ranger Creed, haven't got it memorized and i most likely wont ever need to say it or write it down but its powerful, doing the same with the Special Forces creed.

In the book get selected he talked about Anthony Robbins, take him or leave him for what he is he does talk about motivation and achieving dreams and its a nice listen when your tired, audio book inscribed into my phone along with another book called 100 ways to motivate yourself.

Studying Martial Arts has undoubtedly been a huge mental boost along with physical, the majority of my class mates are also active military personnel so that enables me to ask a lot of questions.

Watching Rescue Warriors is always a nice boost to my awareness of what may happen in Indoc.

Is there anything that you do to give yourself more mental fortitude?

Dude, I'm not trying to be a dick, but you either have it or you don't. All this "studying" to become mentally tough (to me at least), sounds weak. Reading won't get you through a day of getting your ass smoked. So in the tradition of all Shadowspear operators, I will be the first to tell you...stop thinking and go PT. If you go PT hard enough, you'll be confident with the physical torture you might get to endure, if you're lucky. I have not met an operator who's made it through a selection course because they knew the Ranger creed or did Daily Affirmations With Stewart Smally. So again, turn off your brain, and go PT.

I have to agree with JAJ. You have to prepare yourself physically to become mentally strong, if you know what I mean. Pressure test. I'm sure we've all met the phys monsters who could push out pushups and sit ups and run all day in the barrack environment. But once you take these people out of their comfort zones and put heavy packs and bad weather in the mix, they usually fall apart. So get used to being under pressure, get used to being wet, cold tired and hungry, cos that's what its really like. Train for what you're going to come up against, deconstruct your tests/evaluations, do them when your tired, wet etc. Books, quotes or creeds won't keep you going when some DS is climbing up your ass!

Thank you for your responses sirs, I understand it, spending time reading/listening is better put to use with PT.

Hey man just a different point of view here for ya . Marine side we got advanced water survival course aka water hazing for a week . We had guys come in swimming strong on day 1 2 and 3 but when they put on plate carrier rifle Kevlar full uniform and boots they quit within the first five -15 minutes . Basically what I took from that was like the rest of these more qualified men have said get comfortable being uncomfortable and they can't stop time.

Hey man just a different point of view here for ya . Marine side we got advanced water survival course aka water hazing for a week . We had guys come in swimming strong on day 1 2 and 3 but when they put on plate carrier rifle Kevlar full uniform and boots they quit within the first five -15 minutes . Basically what I took from that was like the rest of these more qualified men have said get comfortable being uncomfortable and they can't stop time.

holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

Yeah not trying to sound boot here but I'd rather be over prepared then under prepared for indoc and the pipeline not just indoc

Back