MH-53J Retires

AWP

SOF Support
Just one airframe, but a historically significant one at that. Very historical.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123093897

4/10/2008 - HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. (AFPN) -- MH-53 Pave Low helicopter tail number 68-10357 flew its final mission and last flight supporting special operations forces March 28 in Iraq after 38 years of service.

The helicopter was the lead command and control helicopter for a mission to rescue approximately 50 American prisoners of war from the Son Tay prison camp in North Vietnam in 1970, which became a significant event for Air Force special operations.

Sad to see it go :(

mh53j20pave20low20iiiebn8.jpg

what sucks is the aircraft that replacing it in theater. I rather have mh-53s than whats coming up next.... MV-22

What's planned to replace MH-53's? MV-22 Ospery?

Apparently the MV-22 is the replacement for the 53Js in the AFSOC units. I would imagine that the CSAR missions (not 352/352 SOG) would see the next CSAR bird (i.e. HH-47) as the replacement.

Splitting hairs, but AFSOC will be replacing the MH-53's with the CV-22, the MV-22 is the Marine variant. Dunno why they switched up the naming convention, but there it is.

The HH-47, if the program ever come to fruition, will replace the Air Force's MH-60's.

I just wanted to use the word "fruition" in a sentence.

Roger on variant correction. Thanks.

Some pix for all you old guys :D

Fly high, Pave Low

080612-F-3585M-105.JPG

HiRes
A group of MH-53 Pave Low helicopters from the 20th Special Operations Squadron at Hurlburt Field, Fla., fly over a live-fire range June 12 at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The medium-lift helicopter is the largest, most powerful and technologically advanced helicopter in the Air Force inventory. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Emily Moore)
080612-F-3585M-119.JPG

HiRes
MH-53 Pave Low helicopters from the 20th Special Operations Squadron at Hurlburt Field, Fla., fly over a live-fire range June 12 at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The Pave Low's mission is low-level, long-range, undetected penetration into denied areas, day or night, in adverse weather, for infiltration, exfiltration and resupply of special operations forces. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Emily Moore)
080612-F-3585M-163.JPG

HiRes
MH-53 Pave Low helicopters from the 20th Special Operations Squadron at Hurlburt Field, Fla., fly over a live-fire range June 12 at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The helicopter's terrain-following and terrain-avoidance radar, forward-looking infrared sensor, inertial navigation system with global positioning system enable the crew to follow terrain contours. This helps the crew to avoid obstacles in adverse weather, making low-level tactical penetration possible. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Emily Moore)
080612-F-3585M-222.JPG

HiRes
MH-53 Pave Low helicopters from the 20th Special Operations Squadron at Hurlburt Field, Fla., fly over a live-fire range June 12 at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The medium-lift helicopter is the largest, most powerful and technologically advanced helicopter in the Air Force inventory. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Emily Moore)
080612-F-3585M-285.JPG

HiRes
MH-53 Pave Low helicopters from the 20th Special Operations Squadron at Hurlburt Field, Fla., fly over a live-fire range June 12 at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The interactive defensive avionics system greatly enhances the defensive capabilities of the Pave Low, providing a new level of detection avoidance with near real-time threat broadcasts over-the-horizon, so crews can avoid and defeat threats, and replan en route if needed. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Emily Moore)
080612-F-3585M-363.JPG

HiRes
MH-53 Pave Low helicopters from the 20th Special Operations Squadron at Hurlburt Field, Fla., fly over a live-fire range June 12 at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The projected map display enables the crew to follow terrain contours helping them to avoid obstacles in adverse weather, making low-level tactical penetration possible. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Emily Moore)

I almost pooped myself when I saw a show about the CH-53 on TV and saw it do what amounts to an aileron roll, hard to believe that a helo that big could do something like that. I don't know if one of the AFSOC ones could do that with all the extra weight from their gear on it, someone would have to give that input that was more knowledgeable.
I saw a CV-22 from one of the training squadrons at last years airshow near us, nice looking, but seemed smaller overall than the MH-53 as well, but could just be my perception of it.

Back