Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
Anyone had experience putting someone in for one of these? There's a guy in my class who is pretty active in volunteering, most recently donated bone marrow which I understand is pretty painful and time-consuming. I was thinking about putting him in for the MOVSM.

a. The Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (MOVSM) was established by Executive Order 12830, 9 January 1993. It may be awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States and their Reserve Components, who subsequent to 31 December 1992, perform outstanding volunteer community service of a sustained direct and consequential nature.
b. To qualify for award of the MOVSM a service members volunteer service must meet the following requirements:

• (1) Be to the civilian community, to include the military family community.
    (2) Be significant in nature and produce tangible results.
    (3) Reflect favorably on the Military Service and the Department of Defense.
    (4) Be of a sustained and direct nature.

c. While there is no specific time period to qualify for the MOVSM (for example, 500 hours of community service within 24 calendar months), approval authorities shall ensure the service to be honored merits the special recognition afforded by this medal. The MOVSM is intended to recognize exceptional community support over time and not a single act or achievement. Further, it is intended to honor direct support of community activities. For the purpose of this award, attending membership meetings or social events of a community service group is not considered qualifying service, while manning a community crisis action telephone line is considered qualifying service
d. Approval authority for award of the MOVSM will be commanders (overseas and conus) serving in the rank of brigadier general or higher and colonel level commanders who exercise general court-martial authority. Before the recommendation is forwarded to the award approval authority, the recommender must certify that the service member meets the eligibility criteria for award of the MOVSM. Substantiating documentation, such as record of hours contributed, letters or certificates from activity supervisors, or other proof of the service member's volunteer services may be attached as enclosures to the recommendation.

I had a GF that volunteered at the Monterey Bay Aquarium every Sunday to feed the penguins. She had to log everything for the command at DLI to finally agree that it was valid "volunteer" work and she was awarded the MOVSM. Unfortunately I wasn't able to remain amicable to ask her for a copy of the write up.

Back