My Situation

PStrong

Unverified
Hello all,​
I am a 17 year old Junior in High School currently looking into fulfilling my wish of enlisting into the United States Marine Corps next year. My desired MOS is 03XX but I am shooting for 0311 so I can move up into Scout Sniper eventually, I understand I may be getting ahead of myself but I want to be as prepared as possible. I am currently taking Pre-Calculus Pre-AP and Physics AP, I understand these will help me later on if somehow everything goes to plan; I have also been taking ASVAB Practice Tests in order to be able to get the required GT and AR scores. I have not talked to a recruiter yet, they have told me I need to wait till I am a Senior. In my free time I run anywhere from 5-8 miles wearing a 25 lbs. weight vest to help with conditioning and do other exercises as well. Would practicing marksmanship help at all? I have read on the forums that marksmanship is the last thing I need to worry about but I am raised in a household in which we do not own any firearms so I feel I would be at a disadvantage. I have researched distance calculation using a mil-dot scope, but I feel that it is insufficient as mil-dot is not used by the Marine Corps as far as I know. Is there anything else I could be doing now to assist me later on if everything goes well?

Thank you for your time,
PStrong​

The Marine Corps will teach you marksmanship. They are the best in the world at it and their program is designed to make rifle experts out of people who've never fired a gun. That is your least concern.

Study hard in school, stay out of trouble, try to excel in all you do.

When/if you go to boot camp you will get all the marksmanship instruction you need...and if you excel there, Scout Sniper School may be a possibility. Trying to become a marksman at this stage in your life may only lead to bad habits that will have to be broken later.

PS You best get your young ass up and post an introduction before the mods and admins knock it in the dirt

Last edited:
With all due respect Sir, it is most likely because I am taking an advanced English class as well. I am, in fact, a 17 YO. Thank you for what I assume is a compliment.

Periodically there is a great deal of debate on this forum about the participation of teenagers. Too often your peers show their ass on this board and it all starts with poor communication skills. To be blunt, you're already in the minority.

To drag this back on track, be a kid. You'll never see 17 again and a monk-like preparation for the Marine Corps may cause you some problems or regret later in life. Be a kid and enjoy life. Look up "Kim's game" because a good memory will serve you well in life, not just the military. Stay out of trouble and enjoy life, you can give it all to the Corps later. Did I mention 17 won't come again?

Periodically there is a great deal of debate on this forum about the participation of teenagers. Too often your peers show their ass on this board and it all starts with poor communication skills. To be blunt, you're already in the minority.

To drag this back on track, be a kid. You'll never see 17 again and a monk-like preparation for the Marine Corps may cause you some problems or regret later in life. Be a kid and enjoy life. Look up "Kim's game" because a good memory will serve you well in life, not just the military. Stay out of trouble and enjoy life, you can give it all to the Corps later. Did I mention 17 won't come again?

I'll look into it right away.

I appreciate the information. I'm sorry if I appeared to be too serious about this at such a young age, I respect all of you so I felt it would be detrimental if I had not represented myself in a professional fashion. In truth, I am in fact enjoying being a 17 YO kid, I just felt this approach was necessary.

The Marine Corps now has a gender neutral ground combat arms IST. I would ask your recruiter about that and concentrate on it as a 25M target, if you need something to shoot for at the moment.

"...I felt it would be detrimental if I had not represented myself in a professional fashion."

There is hope for the youth of today yet.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The Marine Corps now has a gender neutral ground combat arms IST. I would ask your recruiter about that and concentrate on it as a 25M target, if you need something to shoot for at the moment.

"...I felt it would be detrimental if I had not represented myself in a professional fashion."

There is hope for the youth of tomorrow yet.

Good luck.

Thank you Sir, I appreciate the information and the compliment. I'll look into the IST and see the requirements.

@PStrong you're on the right track. The people on here are just surprised to see such a level headed teenager, as most that come on here are not.
As others have said, make sure you make time to be a kid too. The Marine Corps will teach you what you need to know.
Welcome and good luck on your adventure.

@PStrong you're on the right track. The people on here are just surprised to see such a level headed teenager, as most that come on here are not.
As others have said, make sure you make time to be a kid too. The Marine Corps will teach you what you need to know.
Welcome and good luck on your adventure.

Thank you, Sir.

Back