Mysterious low-flying plane over Twin Cities raises questions of surveillance

Because bad guys can run plates or tail numbers on paid for websites....local law enforcement use non-attrituble names and addresses on undercover vehicles.....why wouldn't a federal organization who investigates organized crime, foriegn counterintelligence...etc not do the same?
Register it to a non-LE Federal Agency, Dept of Commerce for example.

The fake company thing is wrong, what's next Govt Bread Trucks?

In a 100% permissive environment, why are planes the preferred method? I could understand it for a rural area, but for an urban area it seems unnecessary.

Why spend money to fly around and do it? A guy with a backpack walking down the street or a guy in a 1997 Toyota Corolla could do the same thing.

Law enforcement loves whiz bang military technology.

In a 100% permissive environment, why are planes the preferred method? I could understand it for a rural area, but for an urban area it seems unnecessary.

Why spend money to fly around and do it? A guy with a backpack walking down the street or a guy in a 1997 Toyota Corolla could do the same thing.

Law enforcement loves whiz bang military technology.

Flight pay!

I'm not arguing for/against the actual duties/tasks being performed, however the amount of area covered by an elevated airborne antenna array will be significantly larger as well as quite possibly have better resolution of data gathered compared to a ground based system.

I'm not arguing for/against the actual duties/tasks being performed, however the amount of area covered by an elevated airborne antenna array will be significantly larger as well as quite possibly have better resolution of data gathered compared to a ground based system.

Sometimes more data equals more interference.

It can be repositioned in a fairly broad range fairly quickly as well. In addition, unlike rotorcraft, operational costs of a 182 are not completely unreasonable, even at government rates - approx $160 to $200 per flight hour, give or take a few $.

I ran across the link below and thought of this thread:
Regulations.gov

Given the 2014 date I'd like to think we have a thread on it, but didn't see one.

Buried on pages 325 - 327 are the relevant sections. I could be wrong but they read as "We can have just about any judge approve a warrant and we'll try to notify you, but no guarantees. If you are behind a VPN...lolwut."

Finally, the proposed amendment includes a change to Rule 41(f)(1)(C), which requires
notice that a search has been conducted. New language would be added at the end of that provision
indicating the process for providing notice of a remote access search. The rule now requires that
notice of a physical search be provided “to the person from whom, or from whose premises, the
property was taken” or left “at the place where the officer took the property.” The Committee
recognized that when a electronic search is conducted remotely, it is not feasible to provide notice
in precisely the same manner as when tangible property has been removed from physical premises.
The proposal requires that when the search is by remote access, reasonable efforts be made to
provide notice to the person whose information was seized or whose property was searched.

Planes are the least of our worries.

Back