Myth Vs Reality

I was a collegiate boxer. Everyone wants to punch guys in the face bare knuckles until they do it for real. Bar fights are stupid. Every idiot is surrounded by buddies who are waiting to pop you in the back of the head.

This. We don't go to bars often, at least not the type filled with people who are out to fight.

I play in a city softball league though, last week. A lot of young dudes fresh out of college, we(other guys) had a pretty good tussle after a dude pushed another dude on 1st base... I just stood in the back. I talked to some of the guys afterwards, I said:

"Dudes is this softball game worth going to jail over?"

Them: No

Me: are you willing to get your face broken by an overzealous idiot with a softball bat?

Them again: No

Me: then why the fuck are you fighting?

Crickets...

People don't think of the reality that a fight can entail... be a grown up. If you have to fight, for your safety, maximum violence...

I was a collegiate boxer. Everyone wants to punch guys in the face bare knuckles until they do it for real. Bar fights are stupid. Every idiot is surrounded by buddies who are waiting to pop you in the back of the head.
YUUUPPPPP.

I have thankfully not been in a fight that wasn't part of actual training in a while, and I don't actually care if I ever get in one again. I bounced for 4 or 5 years and got into fights with bouncers and others for longer than that. No thanks.

I did a little myself, it's better to have a chat & resolve it then to butt heads. The good thing was that the guys that drank there all the time had my back, which was reassuring as I'd shown them some respect to being with.

Short version: I'm 66 years old. If I fight, I lose. Longer version: I've trained in some sort of martial art since I was a teen-ager. The fact is that even when I was younger, I was still an unathletic geek. If I fought I would lose. That leaves not fighting as the only real option. Either I de-escalate and GTFO or I figure some way to win the "fight" without really fighting. I'm still training in To Shin Do ninjutsu, which doesn't require any real athletic ability and depends on body weight, gravity and balance breaking to end a conflict...quickly. All that said, I still can't change the short version. My skills would give me a chance, but...short version...as Mr. Miyada said: "Fighting bad. Somebody always get hurt".

Drunk guys usually come at you with a big right hook. And they’re slow. Step inside, come up hard with a palm thrust under the chin and it’s lights out. I never looked for a bar fight…but I lived on Madeira Beach (Mad Beach) and was on a tear in my late 30s and early 40’s, hitting low dives. Shit happened.

Drunk guys usually come at you with a big right hook. And they’re slow. Step inside, come up hard with a palm thrust under the chin and it’s lights out. I never looked for a bar fight…but I lived on Madeira Beach (Mad Beach) and was on a tear in my late 30s and early 40’s, hitting low dives. Shit happened.
I hope that if anyone comes at me, that's how they do it. :ninja:

Back