Nam Dong

Gunz

Combined Action
Verified Military
Last month marked the 40th Anniversary of the Special Forces gallant defense of the CIDG camp at Nam Dong, where a small group of SF, Australians and their SVN/Yard counterparts held off and repelled a large scale Viet Cong attack. Captain Donlon earned his CMOH here, Aussie Kevin Conway was cited for a Victoria Cross. 8 SF soldiers died in this battle, and over 100 SVNs, but they punished their attackers and killed almost 400 Viet Cong.

220px-Maj_Roger_Donlon.jpg

(I was in jr HS when this battle occurred, virtually worshipped "Green Berets" and read everything I could about the war...couldn't wait to get in it myself in some capacity.)

In any event the battle was featured in this month's VFW magazine, but I remember it...and along with the SF's other remarkable exploits, I wanted to give it some recognition and post my heartfelt thanks and respect to the brave men who fought here.

Colonel Donlon spoke to the association I belong to--COUNTERPARTS/THDNA--some years ago in Branson and a summary was published in our newsletter.

http://www.counterparts.net/sitrep/Issue39.pdf

Last edited:
Back