.Navy EOD -> SEAL?

nov15

Unverified
So currently I'm training for SEALs. I do need to get PRK to correct my eyes to 20/20. Right now my eyes are 20/60 so I qualify for EOD. I'm not yet at a place where I can pay for PRK and I'm considering EOD for a few reasons; including getting into the Navy, getting into the NSW community, EOD gets to play with explosives which is awesome, the skill of recognizing explosives and knowing how to disarm them would be great to know, the money doesn't hurt as it would help me pay for PRK and such although money is not a major motivation if that makes sense. EOD guys also deploy with SEALs and work with them on the regular which is a huge plus as someone who would want to eventually transition over to the SEALs. What's holding me back from joining EOD is I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and ruin my chances of becoming a SEAL by going EOD. From what I've heard its hard but not impossible to go EOD and then SEAL. But any input from someone who's been in one of those units would be much appreciated. I also am wondering where EOD guys get stationed so anybody who knows that I'd appreciate it (I do know there are EOD techs in VA Beach, somewhere in Florida like Ft. Walton Beach, and I'm guessing there are some in San Diego but otherwise I'm just guessing). Any help with these questions as well as advice on SEAL or EOD units would be great. Appreciate your time!

getting into the NSW community

Navy EOD gets to work and augment with EVERYONE. SF, Rangers, SEAL, SWCC, you name it. However they are not a part of Navy Special Warfare Command. Only SEAL and SWCC are a permanent part of NSW. EOD is a part of Expeditionary Combat Command. That means you don’t get all of the benefits of being NSW, and could very well be stationed on a ship at some point of your career. That being said, EOD is capable of seeing and doing a lot, and you could be placed within NSW specific groups. EOD are definitely Badasses also, there is no question about that.

From what I've heard its hard but not impossible to go EOD and then SEAL.

You are correct. To get out of EOD you will either need to meet some very important people who will vouch for you, or you will need to cross over to another branch and go Army SF/Ranger ect...

EOD does not have enough people that make it through their selection to be willing to let people go. That being said, I know a few people who went SEAL officer who were prior SWCC and we are in the same boat. The only difference is that SWCC is pure enlisted, and to keep them in NSW as an officer, the only route is SEAL.
EOD has officers, so they would rather send you to Officer Candidacy school as an EOD officer.

also am wondering where EOD guys get stationed so anybody who knows that I'd appreciate it (I do know there are EOD techs in VA Beach, somewhere in Florida like Ft. Walton Beach, and I'm guessing there are some in San Diego but otherwise I'm just guessing).

I can’t tell you that off the top of my head, but I can confirm that we have EOD teams in Coronado, California and Little Creek, Virginia at the SEAL/SWCC bases.

Navy EOD gets to work and augment with EVERYONE. SF, Rangers, SEAL, SWCC, you name it. However they are not a part of Navy Special Warfare Command. Only SEAL and SWCC are a permanent part of NSW. EOD is a part of Expeditionary Combat Command. That means you don’t get all of the benefits of being NSW, and could very well be stationed on a ship at some point of your career. That being said, EOD is capable of seeing and doing a lot, and you could be placed within NSW specific groups. EOD are definitely Badasses also, there is no question about that.

You are correct. To get out of EOD you will either need to meet some very important people who will vouch for you, or you will need to cross over to another branch and go Army SF/Ranger ect...

EOD does not have enough people that make it through their selection to be willing to let people go. That being said, I know a few people who went SEAL officer who were prior SWCC and we are in the same boat. The only difference is that SWCC is pure enlisted, and to keep them in NSW as an officer, the only route is SEAL.
EOD has officers, so they would rather send you to Officer Candidacy school as an EOD officer.

I can’t tell you that off the top of my head, but I can confirm that we have EOD teams in Coronado, California and Little Creek, Virginia at the SEAL/SWCC bases.

Okay that makes sense. thats what I was afraid of. I know that one of the SEALs in Act of Valor was a former EOD guy that went SEAL but I hadn't heard of anyone else really doing it. Personally don't want to go down the officer route without being enlisted and doing time on the ground. Want to mustang it. Appreciate the info. Gonna work and save for PRK while training and then get the surgery and then enlist and make it happen.

Speaking from the Marine side, but I would make the argument that a good EOD tech is in more demand to SOCOM than we are sometimes(along with SIGINT and HUMINT). And I've seen all 3 of those guys have more interesting careers than a SOF operator. I dont think you'll have a disappointing career as an EOD tech, and you may even get more deployments than your SOF counterparts(ours are so short staffed, they end up turn and burning to support the next companies needs), but you do run the risk of getting farmed out and doing the conventional side from time to time like arf mentioned.

Speaking from the Marine side, but I would make the argument that a good EOD tech is in more demand to SOCOM than we are sometimes(along with SIGINT and HUMINT). And I've seen all 3 of those guys have more interesting careers than a SOF operator. I dont think you'll have a disappointing career as an EOD tech, and you may even get more deployments than your SOF counterparts(ours are so short staffed, they end up turn and burning to support the next companies needs), but you do run the risk of getting farmed out and doing the conventional side from time to time like arf mentioned.
I wonder if SOCOM will (or maybe they have already) start taking SOF guys from each branch and train them in some EOD skills so that guys are able to add another skillset to the group without requiring an EOD tech to be added to them. Personally (and this is going to sound so cliche but its the truth) while I'm glad there are individuals who can do the conventional side, i want to be on the unconventional side. I also want to attend SEAL and/or USMC sniper school, as well as breacher school. I don't believe, (correct me if I'm wrong), but from what I've researched EOD guys aren't getting slots at sniper or breaching schools. I'm guessing some of the explosive breaching is included in the EOD tech course but otherwise I don't think there's much crossover.

I honestly couldn’t tell you what schools they can go to, but being Navy EOD will PRESUMABLY get you more action than the other branches EOD because of your Free-fall capabilities and Dive capabilities.

@Hillclimb feel free to put your two cents in if you think I’m wrong. I have heard our EOD get to work with Army Special Forces and Rangers over their own Army EOD.

I am still new to the teams myself so its all word of mouth on my end when it comes to EOD.

I don’t think they will ever make SEAL or SWCC an EOD expert only because it takes a very long time to train an EOD tech. It’s not SOF purely because they still need to use EOD in both the conventional and SOF sides.

That being said, they may not get the chance to work with Special Operations. The opportunity is there though to work alongside Naval Special Warfare and other SOCOM units, but they get respect from us. Everyone loves EOD.

Last edited:
I honestly couldn’t tell you what schools they can go to, but being Navy EOD will PRESUMABLY get you more action than the other branches EOD because of your Free-fall capabilities and Dive capabilities.

@Hillclimb feel free to put your two cents in if you think I’m wrong. I have heard our EOD get to work with Army Special Forces and Rangers over their own Army EOD.

I am still new to the teams myself so its all word of mouth on my end when it comes to EOD.

I don’t think they will ever make SEAL or SWCC an EOD expert purely because it takes a very long time to train an EOD tech. It’s not SOF purely because they still need to use EOD in both the conventional and SOF sides.

That being said, they may not officially be a permanent part of NSW unless they attach with us, but they get respect from us. Everyone loves EOD.
Yeah Navy EOD having the extra SOF capabilities does help them a lot. That's what I've heard as well because Army EOD is not SOF qualified to the extent Navy EOD is but I could be wrong. I appreciate all the info. My goal is SEAL. That's for sure where I wanna be. But EOD has always fascinated me and been something that if fate turns me in that direction I wouldn't be mad if thats where I ended up. Just gotta get dang PRK ;(

SEALs work with explosives. They just aren’t anywhere near as good at it as EOD is😂.

You will still scream the first time you light off a 200 pound Bangalore though.
well I'm sure SEALs are great at detonating and destroying, just not rendering safe lmao

I CAN'T F****ING WAIT....total white girl moment but seriously can't wait. for all of it. It's gonna suck a lot. It's gonna be painful but it's gonna be worth it

Here is some info about the EOD pipeline and additional school opportunities that follow: https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/centers/ceneoddive/ndstc/documents/EOD_Diver_Training.pdf

Arf, you are correct about EOD getting attached to Army SF and Rangers, as well as SEALs and I believe Raiders too.

OP, since the EOD units are much smaller compared to a SEAL platoon, there are many more stations for EOD units. To my understanding, upon graduation you are sent to San Diego, VA Beach, Guam, or Spain. There are several more stations on the east and west coast. As far as wanting to transition from EOD to SEAL, I would advise against that. Whereas EOD doesn't have some of the more brutal evolutions such as boat runs in Dive school or EOD school, many candidates can get dropped due to failing written tests in EOD school. SEALs and EOD are both among the best at what they do, but they are two different pipelines. It seems that you know your goal is definitely SO, so wait until you are able to get surgery and pursue that goal. Embrace the suck; best of luck.

OP, since the EOD units are much smaller compared to a SEAL platoon, there are many more stations for EOD units. To my understanding, upon graduation you are sent to San Diego, VA Beach, Guam, or Spain. There are several more stations on the east and west coast. As far as wanting to transition from EOD to SEAL, I would advise against that. Whereas EOD doesn't have some of the more brutal evolutions such as boat runs in Dive school or EOD school, many candidates can get dropped due to failing written tests in EOD school. SEALs and EOD are both among the best at what they do, but they are two different pipelines. It seems that you know your goal is definitely SO, so wait until you are able to get surgery and pursue that goal. Embrace the suck; best of luck.

Stop right there. Are you EOD? Navy? Military? Not according to your profile, yet you're offering career advice? Do not do that.

Here is some info about the EOD pipeline and additional school opportunities that follow: https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/centers/ceneoddive/ndstc/documents/EOD_Diver_Training.pdf

Arf, you are correct about EOD getting attached to Army SF and Rangers, as well as SEALs and I believe Raiders too.

Yeah I am set on SO. appreciate the information!

Stop right there. Are you EOD? Navy? Military? Not according to your profile, yet you're offering career advice? Do not do that.
Contracted Navy EOD shipping in less than 30 days, just trying to pass on information I have learned from my mentor (EOD Senior Chief, 23 years).

What he's saying in plain English, until you have been there and done that, do not offer any advice.

Yessir point taken, I apologize if I came off as a “know it all,” that truly was not my intent. I was just trying to provide solid information. I definitely do not know everything about the pipeline yet. I appreciate what you guys do, and I hope to do the same after I earn my crab so I’m able to give information to others.

Yessir point taken, I apologize if I came off as a “know it all,” that truly was not my intent. I was just trying to provide solid information.
This is for anyone else else reading this. Maybe your info was spot on, maybe it was not; at the end of the day folks come here to get (to quote @Salt USMC ) been-there-done-that info, and when it comes to SOF info, preferably from a vetted member with a Green and sometimes Brown tag. Same goes for members who “washed out” of a class but still want to share what they know...not interested, but thanks for playing.

No need to respond to this, let’s just move on and get back to the topic at hand.

Please and thank you.

Back