Navy SARC Physical Specifics

Okay so you would stay a corpsman, but based on needs of the Navy they may keep you in a hospital and not FMF?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if you were assigned dental tech or something of that nature is it then impossible to get reassigned FMF after? Or is that the end all-be all?

Based on the info above, yes, you could be assigned to a hospital or clinic; may be Marine base, may be on a a Navy base. No, not the end-all-be-all. You will still have an opportunity to get to FMF as billets open up, people leave, etc. when your 'tour' at the hospital is over.

Okay so you would stay a corpsman, but based on needs of the Navy they may keep you in a hospital and not FMF?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if you were assigned dental tech or something of that nature is it then impossible to get reassigned FMF after? Or is that the end all-be all?

Nobody is going to keep you anywhere. The great thing about being a Corpsman is that there are so many different jobs and locations available to you. If you have a high GPA in A-School you can pick your follow-on school/orders. You won't get assigned dental tech once you're in the fleet, you only get assigned a job out of A-School if you're unfortunate enough not to be able to choose your orders. If you're in SOCP (the Special Operations prep) while you're in A-School, you may be able to pipeline for SARC, Dive Med Tech, or Search and Rescue. The hands down best thing about our community is that you're needed everywhere (hospitals, clinics, schools, Marine units, NSW support, expeditionary units, etc) and there are many different schools you can volunteer for that will shape what type of Corpsman you will be.

Nobody is going to keep you anywhere. The great thing about being a Corpsman is that there are so many different jobs and locations available to you. If you have a high GPA in A-School you can pick your follow-on school/orders. You won't get assigned dental tech once you're in the fleet, you only get assigned a job out of A-School if you're unfortunate enough not to be able to choose your orders. If you're in SOCP (the Special Operations prep) while you're in A-School, you may be able to pipeline for SARC, Dive Med Tech, or Search and Rescue. The hands down best thing about our community is that you're needed everywhere (hospitals, clinics, schools, Marine units, NSW support, expeditionary units, etc) and there are many different schools you can volunteer for that will shape what type of Corpsman you will be.

Truth. The only time I was assigned to a hospital was after I was commissioned. As a corpsman I was in infantry, FSSG, NSW support, recon support (not a SARC), FMSS support, and I&I duty for MARFORRES. I wore a Navy uniform at boot camp graduation, and not again until DCO school.

Scubadew & Devildoc

Thanks guys! This is great info.

Alright if I PM either of you in the future for some more information?

Marcus

Glad to help, and feel free to PM.*

*I have been out a while. Scubadew likely has more timely gouge. But happy to assist in any way.

Back