Navy SEAL Busts a Cap

According to Wiki and a few SEAL forums, they have to complete SQT before they get their 5326 rating and Trident. So you're correct about the Team having no say, just not sure how you defined "fully qualified SEAL".
BTW, hope you're enjoying the book! :thumbsup:

You are correct. That was a typo on my part. Apologies for the confusion. :-)

This is what I was referring to as no longer being the case in my response to xSFmed's post. :-) Guys are now fully qualified SEALs after SQT and the Team has no say in them getting their Trident. From what I have heard from recent Team guys, it is near impossible for them to get rid of guys these days unless there are major issues. It's no longer sufficient for the Team to just not like the guy or think he's not "good" enough.
I knew about SQT, but I thought that it was completed 'inside' each team.

Hope he recovers quickly but at the same time I pray he is RFS'd (or whatever the Navy calls it) from NSW. We dont need anyone else that cant be trusted to do the right thing with a firearm watching someone else's -6.

Crip

I knew about SQT, but I thought that it was completed 'inside' each team.

It used to be. I found this more in-depth explanation of why NSW switched to the current SQT format.

Following BUD/S training, graduates remain attached to the NSWC in Coronado while they complete a secondary training program currently known as SEAL Qualification Training (SQT). During the first decade and a half of the SEAL Team's existence that secondary training was actually conducted under the direction of the SEAL Team to which a man had been assigned upon completing training. After a new BUD/S graduate reported to the SEAL Team he underwent additional training which lasted approximately six months. During that time period the new man was "on probation" and did not officially hold full SEAL credentials. At the end of that supplemental training program and period of probation, the new man was evaluated by his superiors. If deemed physically and mentally suited for SEAL Team duty and if he had successfully completed all of the secondary training program, the new man was officially granted SEAL status. An entry was made in his Personnel Record designating him as a "COMBATANT SWIMMER (SEAL)" and his Naval Enlisted Classification (NEC) code was changed to reflect that new status. At that point he was a fully-credentialed Navy SEAL.
The 'old way' of handling secondary training caused new BUD/S graduates to be listed on the manpower roster of the SEAL Team, but prevented them being utilized by that Team until they had successfully completed the full secondary training program, and the probation period. The SEAL Team manpower roster may have been full, but not all of the men listed there could be deployed as fully-trained SEALs. This handicapped the SEAL Teams and effectively left them shorthanded, despite a full manpower roster. To remedy this situation, the secondary training effort was relocated to the Naval Special Warfare Center (where BUD/S is conducted). The new BUD/S graduates would now complete their secondary training and probation period, and became fully-credentialed SEALs before ever being assigned to a SEAL Team. This meant that every man assigned to a SEAL Team was fully qualified and could be utilized by the command without waiting.

The 4 weapon safety rules the RSO makes us repeat every gd year at the range like 1st graders keeps going through my head after reading this.

Finger straight and off the trigger until ready to fire
Do not point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
Weapon on safe until ready to fire
And I always forget the 4th.

Am I the only one who caught the irony in this post? :)

Am I the only one who caught the irony in this post? :-)

That was the punchline ;)

My Ssgt accidentally discharged my AR-15 in my living room.

I said.. What the fuck, you broke every single god damned weapons safety rule.

His only response was.. "Well. I always forget the 4th." and "Why do you have rounds in the mag."

Le sigh..

It used to be. I found this more in-depth explanation of why NSW switched to the current SQT format.

Following BUD/S training, graduates remain attached to the NSWC in Coronado while they complete a secondary training program currently known as SEAL Qualification Training (SQT). During the first decade and a half of the SEAL Team's existence that secondary training was actually conducted under the direction of the SEAL Team to which a man had been assigned upon completing training. After a new BUD/S graduate reported to the SEAL Team he underwent additional training which lasted approximately six months. During that time period the new man was "on probation" and did not officially hold full SEAL credentials. At the end of that supplemental training program and period of probation, the new man was evaluated by his superiors. If deemed physically and mentally suited for SEAL Team duty and if he had successfully completed all of the secondary training program, the new man was officially granted SEAL status. An entry was made in his Personnel Record designating him as a "COMBATANT SWIMMER (SEAL)" and his Naval Enlisted Classification (NEC) code was changed to reflect that new status. At that point he was a fully-credentialed Navy SEAL.
The 'old way' of handling secondary training caused new BUD/S graduates to be listed on the manpower roster of the SEAL Team, but prevented them being utilized by that Team until they had successfully completed the full secondary training program, and the probation period. The SEAL Team manpower roster may have been full, but not all of the men listed there could be deployed as fully-trained SEALs. This handicapped the SEAL Teams and effectively left them shorthanded, despite a full manpower roster. To remedy this situation, the secondary training effort was relocated to the Naval Special Warfare Center (where BUD/S is conducted). The new BUD/S graduates would now complete their secondary training and probation period, and became fully-credentialed SEALs before ever being assigned to a SEAL Team. This meant that every man assigned to a SEAL Team was fully qualified and could be utilized by the command without waiting.

This also created a standardized training format. Having "SQT" at the Team Level resulted in different standards depending on the team.

That poor girl is going to be traumatized. This is an all around terrible situation.

Back