Navy SEALs Help Jack Bauer in Fox's "24"

B

Boondocksaint375

CAMARILLO, Calif. (NNS) - U.S. Navy SEALs battled terrorists during filming of an episode of the hit Fox Network television show "24" Aug. 12-13 at an airport in Camarillo.

A group of Navy SEALs from San Diego volunteered to act as extras in the show, adding realism to a story for "24." They were accompanied by two SH-60 Seahawk helicopters and their flight crews assigned to the "Blackjacks" of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 21. The Sailors were asked to participate in fast-roping and target-assault scenes.
Producers of "24" asked the Navy to help because of their previous support of the show. Two years ago, the Navy allowed directors to film aboard a nuclear submarine homeported at Point Loma Naval Base, Calif., for two days. This season they needed a different kind of help.
"We originally called upon the Navy because we needed helicopters," said producer Michael Klick. "The story line called for a joint FBI-Navy collaboration. We called the Navy Information Office and they got back to us with 'how about we have Navy SEALs fast-rope and participate in the scene?' and we thought that it sounded great."

The rough story line is that character Jack Bauer uncovered a terrorist cell on U.S. soil. The President of the United States authorized the use of the Navy SEALs to capture the terrorists who have attacked Washington.
SEALs fast-roped out of the two SH-60 helicopters and surrounded a building where the suspected terrorists were located, according to the script.

The shoot was directed by Emmy-winning director and executive producer Jon Cassar.

"It was long hours, but still a good time," said Special Warfare Operator 1st Class Shad Tucker. "Several friends of mine who are prior military have done this type of work before and they said it was pretty neat. This was overall a good opportunity to meet people in Hollywood."

Although requesting SEAL volunteers in movies is not uncommon in Hollywood, it is a first for "24."

"This is our first time working with the SEALs, mostly because Jack Bauer works alone," laughed Click. "We haven't worked with them before, not because we didn't want to, because we couldn't find an opportunity. This was the first opportunity we have had to use them and hopefully we are going to have more."
The episode is part of season seven of the show, which will air on Fox in January.

The Naval Special Warfare community is a maritime component of U.S. Special Operations Command and the Navy's special operations force. The community is composed of over 6,700 personnel, including 2,300 SEALs, 600 Special Warfare Combatant-craft Crewmen (SWCC), along with military support personnel, Reserve components, and civilian staff. SEALs and SWCC focus on missions involving unconventional warfare, direct action, combating terrorism, special reconnaissance, foreign internal defense, information warfare, security assistance, counter-drug operations, personnel recovery and hydrographic reconnaissance.

http://www.shadowspear.com/home/spe..._operations_movies/navy_seals_jack_bauer.html

It figures that they used West Coast SEALs. ;)

This is cool. I'm looking forward to the new season.

SEALs aren't manly enough to balance out the gayness of Jack "I'm okay to drive" Bauer.

With any luck maybe one of the SEALs can actually show "Jack" how to actually look like he knows what he's doing with that H&K USPc pistol. :rolleyes:

I love The Unit + 24 both. The Unit would be about twice as good if they cut out the half hour they spend on the homefront/on-post crap and left it to just the deployment/operation scenes... but then again I'm not a family man and maybe I don't have enough appreciation for it.

The Unit also doesn't accurately depict Army Tier 1 SOF types. As the movie Transformers clearly shows, all SOF soldiers could be Calvin Klein models in their off-duty hours, something Haney must have overlooked.

Cool stuff thought, SEALs probably had some fun. I wonder if they got to hang out with Kiefer?

I love The Unit + 24 both. The Unit would be about twice as good if they cut out the half hour they spend on the homefront/on-post crap and left it to just the deployment/operation scenes... but then again I'm not a family man and maybe I don't have enough appreciation for it.

The Unit also doesn't accurately depict Army Tier 1 SOF types. As the movie Transformers clearly shows, all SOF soldiers could be Calvin Klein models in their off-duty hours, something Haney must have overlooked.

Cool stuff thought, SEALs probably had some fun. I wonder if they got to hang out with Kiefer?

Not a big fan of "The Unit". I tried, but when they have episodes where the most engaging story they can come up with is the wives getting ripped off, I gave up.

I am a fan of "24", but it drives me nuts trying to dedicate the time to watch a TV show, as I found if I don't watch it every week I get lost and have no clue what is going on. The only season I've watched in real time was the 2006 season, as I finally figured out how to watch it on the computer each week (kind of like a poor man's TiVo...).

Its all Boon's fault that I got hooked on "24". Monday nights at my house..no one is allowed to look at me, speak to me, touch the remote..well you get the picture. My only complaint? Jack taking a call from the only Asian in a 300 mile radius on a land line in the field?????? Doh!:doh: Who didnt see that as being bad huh?? Apparently Jack!!!:rolleyes:
But I still cant wait to see the season start!

Great, this year's bad guy is a thinly veiled Blackwater-type private security company called 'Starkwood'. :rolleyes:

Love 24, got my whole platoon in Husaybah addicted to it back in 04 and my whole family addicted to it. I seem to recall in season four I believe Marines from either one of the Force Recon companies or DET-1 (this was when MARSOC was still in its birthing stages) comming in for a episode in which they did something similar, fast roped in and took down a terrorist site giving Jack some back up...also had Cobra's do gun runs for the episode also. Wondering if the Marines being shown in this season are actual ones or just actors playing the parts....24's always been a big military supporter.

~JohnnyBoy

I loved the Microtech automatic knives he used in a few seasons, have two of their automatic knives myself, great knives but TOUGH steel, any attempt to sharpen em by me or others has done nothin, gotta send em in to the company to get em sharpened....think someone told me they laser sharpened em, not sure about that though...

~JohnnyBoy

Back