Navy Shipboard Laser System Declared Operational

So wait, Navy not only develops ships with frickin' lasers, but they offer free beer as well? Game on, Navy... We may let you kick our ass in football for another year.

BTW, Yuengling Black and Tan.
I'm rethinking which branch I want to join :p

Mmmm...Killian's. Inexpensive (at least on the east coast) and delicious!!

I'm rethinking which branch I want to join :p
The Navy didn't develop the laser system. And I'm offering free beer because I know the chances of this thing being used within the parameters I provided.

Mmmm...Killian's. Inexpensive (at least on the east coast) and delicious!!

The Navy didn't develop the laser system. And I'm offering free beer because I know the chances of this thing being used within the parameters I provided.
Parameters change.
I'll take the bet.

With respect to @SOWT 's OP, doesn't the Navy have to present evidence to justify the testing and acquistion of these expensive, cutting-edge weapons systems? In other words, where are the threats to our ships that necessitate electromagnetic rail guns and laser weapons? Where are the UAVs, "slow-moving helicopters and fast patrol craft" coming from that can't be killed by the missiles and guns already in the inventory? Russia? The PRC? ISIS? AQ? Emaciated kaat-smoking Somalian pirates?

I have a problem with stuff like this because I don't see it helping our people who are currently fighting.

My comment about mounting this shit on an AC-130 was only half-kidding. We're going to be fighting jihadists for the next 20-fuckin years. Maybe the next 50. (Israel's been fighting them for 65.) I would love to see an article that announces some new high-tech weapons system that can make a positive contribution to the eradication of our enemies and to the welfare and security of our people on the ground.

With respect to @SOWT 's OP, doesn't the Navy have to present evidence to justify the testing and acquistion of these expensive, cutting-edge weapons systems? In other words, where are the threats to our ships that necessitate electromagnetic rail guns and laser weapons? Where are the UAVs, "slow-moving helicopters and fast patrol craft" coming from that can't be killed by the missiles and guns already in the inventory? Russia? The PRC? ISIS? AQ? Emaciated kaat-smoking Somalian pirates?

I have a problem with stuff like this because I don't see it helping our people who are currently fighting.

My comment about mounting this shit on an AC-130 was only half-kidding. We're going to be fighting jihadists for the next 20-fuckin years. Maybe the next 50. (Israel's been fighting them for 65.) I would love to see an article that announces some new high-tech weapons system that can make a positive contribution to the eradication of our enemies and to the welfare and security of our people on the ground.
Iranians have been fucking with our forces in the Straits of Hormuz for a long time, this gives those assets another arrow in the quiver.

Iranians have been fucking with our forces in the Straits of Hormuz for a long time, this gives those assets another arrow in the quiver.

Yes sir, I copy that, but those incidents don't seem to pose a tremendously dire threat. And can't our Navy counter anything the Iranians have with our advanced extant shipboard weaponry? I mean, it's great to blow the bastards to Mars with cool Star Trek stuff, but maybe some of that cool Star Trek stuff should go to the Army and Air Force. I'd love to see some of this R&D money going to research IED detection technology...if such a thing is possible.

Yes sir, I copy that, but those incidents don't seem to pose a tremendously dire threat. And can't our Navy counter anything the Iranians have with our advanced extant shipboard weaponry? I mean, it's great to blow the bastards to Mars with cool Star Trek stuff, but maybe some of that cool Star Trek stuff should go to the Army and Air Force. I'd love to see some of this R&D money going to research IED detection technology...if such a thing is possible.

We have spent and are still spending a shit load of money to counter IED's. Did you not know that? as your last sentence makes me think you are not familiar with out Counter-IED Programs.

I also don't understand why don't you view the Iranian Navy as a threat? Mock attacks go on in the Straits, and it can be hard to determine when the mock attack is the real thing (waiting until suicide boats start holing your ship is generally considered too late). Wargames have explored swarm attacks, and (based on our attempts to create a swarm fleet) I assume we believe swarm is a viable asymmetric tactic.
In theory, conventional weapons are not as reactive as a laser; I also have to think that this ship will act as an operational test bed, so future laser systems can go on smaller ships, or replace missiles for anti-air focused vessels (FFG's?)
Like it or not, lasers are the next wave of weaponry.

I don't dislike any weapon as long as it's ours. I appreciate your explanation and patience. No, I wasn't familiar with progress in counter-IED programs although I knew they existed. And it's not that I don't view the Iranian Navy as a threat, it's just that perhaps I've placed too much faith in the capabilities of current tech shipboard weaponry to counter attacks by small craft from multiple quarters.

But they will still have to shoot something down with it before we get free beer.

Last edited:
So it's going to be an anti-air/anti-(small) surface weapon system. As it stands now, your destroyers, cruisers and (what's left of them) frigates have weapons systems that will reach out and touch bad guys in the air and surface at varying distances. The issue is, they're all defensive. Some ass hole would have to cross an imaginary line in the water as we're sailing through the Straits before anything would happen. And from what I've been told, the pucker factor when sailing through the Straits is about 9,000,000%. And if said ass hole did manage to cause some damage to a ship, they're gonna get their shit pushed in big time. I know it doesn't matter to them because they have 72 goat virgins waiting on the other side, but it wouldn't be pretty.
Again, laser shooting down a legitimate threat in a combat situation = beer on me.

Back