Need advice on the 18X Option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question has yet to be answered. I've received many insightful responses on enlistment options, and a plethora of questions, but I have yet to receive an answer. The only close answer I've received is from Surgicalcric. So, not to be a complete dick here, but can we please stay on topic here? I've come to you guys for serious answers, because this will give me insight on the decision I must make for my future. I realize, in the end, it comes down to me, but I respect each and every opinion posted here.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that your question has not been answered. To tell the truth, even after reading your initial post twice I'm not sure exactly what your question was; I only saw one question mark in the whole 12 paragraphs, and I'm pretty sure that's not what you were after.

Before anyone asks, I have searched the forums prior to asking this question, but it seems that if anyone else has posted with this kind of question I've missed the thread.

/snip fast forward 9 paragraphs, what I "think" you want to ask is in bold below

I need to know the risks I would run if I were to choose 18x merely to go Airborne. It is - at this time - my only feasible option to see Active Duty in the Army. And God knows I'll be waiting a year or more given the rate that the Navy's going. So, I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place, but before I make such a step, I would like to hear advice from prior or current Green Berets.

Once again, I know that this isn't exactly the most honorable route. However, any constructive advice would be welcome.

If the above is your question, then it appears to me that it was answered, by SF-qualified members of the site:

There are quite a few guys who use the 18X program to get to ABN then Voluntarily Withdraw (VW) from the program. There are also quite a few who quit at SOPC and SFAS (never understood the quitter mentality) for a wide variety of reasons, none of which really matter.

When I was in the course those who VW'd didnt really fair too well when it came time for assignments to be passed out. I know for a fact the cadre did everything possible to get guys assignments to Korea, Alaska, etc etc... instead of to places like the 82nd, or 173rd ABN...

I know about the call to service thing, recruiter almost got me with that too. As for joining as an 18x and not doing it, you do realize that you will be an airborne infantryman right? If you don't have the personality for SF, what makes you think you have the mentality for the infantry. You are also sucking up bonus money that you don't deserve, and also taking a contract someone else may want. But I respect that you can admit to yourself that that is not what you want.

So, based on those responses, it seems to me that the "risk you run" is twofold- not getting a good post-drop assignment, and not being able to handle being in the infantry.

You're in a tough spot, no doubt. If your ultimate goal is a job and Airborne, then maybe you find a unit you like in the Reserves (even though you really don't like them) and try to work something out. I suspect there are one or two "good" units out there that would take you, if you have something to offer. Once you land the job, you can try to work your way into an Airborne slot. I think there are even Reserve units on Airborne status; a friend of mine was a member of one in Atlanta several years back. Don't know if it still exists, but it's worth checking out. Once you get back in, you may be able to get rid of some of your tats, a while back the Army had a program that they would laser-off Soldiers tattoos for free. That may open some doors for you down the road.

1) Next time you have a question, put the bottom line up front and don't make us search for it. A lot of the information you put in the first post was superfluous and distracting.

2) Have a little patience and show some respect; no one here has to answer your questions to any degree. I think the people who have chimed in so far have been extremely helpful, especially since what you're considering is, at best, morally questionable.

3) A better way to have expressed your last post would have been, "Thanks for the responses so far guys, I have a followup. I would specifically like to know..." and then ask your question- hopefully in one paragraph this time instead of 10+.

My question has yet to be answered. I've received many insightful responses on enlistment options, and a plethora of questions, but I have yet to receive an answer. The only close answer I've received is from Surgicalcric. So, not to be a complete dick here, but can we please stay on topic here? I've come to you guys for serious answers, because this will give me insight on the decision I must make for my future. I realize, in the end, it comes down to me, but I respect each and every opinion posted here.

Ok, I'm going to answer your question, and you aren't going to like this response...

If you take an 18x contract just to get in the Army, knowing full well you are going to quit after Airborne or during SOPC... you are a huge bag of fail. You have no honor, you are a selfish prick. You stole a slot from somebody who may fail but fail honorably. Go the fuck away, your level of moral ambiguity makes me want to puke, as does your abject disregard for anything other than yourself.

How's that for an answer shithead? DO NOT come into somebody else's house spouting dishonorable bullshit plans, whining about how tough it is and then cop a fucking attitude when you are ignored and or castigated or told you are a 'slot thief' ... because you don't like the answers and the senior members of the Special Operations board on which you post this thieving dishonorable bullshit, derail the thread for the reasons posted ....

You are not Entitled to steal a slot designated for a true 18x candidate to fulfil your self serving ambition of getting into the Army. You made your choices for skin art that is unacceptable in the majority of the military and the civilian world - live with your choices - but do not derail an honorable SF candidates chances by stealing his chance to to enlist knowing you are just trying to get in the Army.

You have no honor, you showed this.

forever steadfast - more like forever selfish and dishonorable. Fuck you, go away.

(Mods, Admins, Boon - this is only my opinion - please edit if you feel necessary - I did not post this originally to allow the thread to play out. The self serving and demanding tone of the thread starter's last post gave me the impetus ... apologies to any but FS - full of shit works too - who may be offended.)

I think this thread has run it's course.
Myself or another mod/admin can be contacted personally if someone has a pressing need to further respond.

FS, that probably isn't going to include you.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back