Need some PJ mentoring

Headshot

Banned
Here's the skinny. My son was going to join the ANG and go EOD because that was of the three options available for immediate enlistment. He wanted to go PJ or CCT, but I explained to him that he is capable of, but not at the moment physically able to pursue that line of work.

He has now decided to go active duty and is still set on PJ. He is looking at starting with (feel free to correct) Aerospace med(?).

From PJ's please, what is the best starting point for him, and what does he need to do to ensure his path toward PJ? He can do this, but I don't want him to get lost in the mix and have a mile of red tape to climb when he is up to speed physically. His scores are off the charts but he just needs to get in better shape. PM me some numbers if you would, so we can talk, and he can talk. He won't settle for anything less.

We haven't talked to the active duty recruiter yet and I want to make sure that he signs the proper contract to make this happen.

I'm very proud of his decision, and want all the best for him, including stacking the deck in his favor with the proper knowledge of his pursuit.

Thanks in advance.

T.

3-Aerospace med? Aircrew job or working in a Flight Surgeons office? I'd make sure which it is.

How soon before the AF allows him to reclass and if he failed the pipeline would they boot him like they are booting the initial enlistees?

(Those are more rhetorical in nature for HS's benefit, not something I'd expect you to know.)

How soon before the AF allows him to reclass and if he failed the pipeline would they boot him like they are booting the initial enlistees?

(Those are more rhetorical in nature for HS's benefit, not something I'd expect you to know.)

Good question-they just booted two guys out of my son's class for failing exams.
I looked the job up, it's essentially a medic job in the Flight Surgeons Office. He'd do some medical stuff, but pretty much stuck in the office. He'd have to PT/train on his own, and he'd have to wait 2-3 years before retraining into PJ.
Can he wait a year, thengo directly into PJ? Aeromed isn't a ticket in;so would he be interested in a more physical career (TACP) then cross/retain at the 3 yr mark?

Thanks again for the info. I'll tell him to wait a bit and go directly in. The main thing he needs right now is a proper workout plan designed toward PJ. The other thing is making sure his contract choices (should he not make it through INDOC) ensure he will be able to get back there the fastest way possible when he is ready.

The way you describe his passion to the career field sounds like he has the heart to make it thru, which is what most people who fail lack. Not that they cant physically do it but they go in with the wrong mindset like, well I'll try it and see how i do or i want to find out my limit and when things get a little more tough then they feel comfortable with then they convince themselves that they have reached there limit. Plus nowing that all the "suck" can stop as soon as they want it to makes that quiting desicion a lot easier. Bottom line is that just tell him to concentrate on his cals(pushup,situps,pullups), running and swimming. If he is good on that and he goes into selection with the mindset that you are talking about he is golden. The program is a crawl, walk, run setup. Tell him is said the hardest part is waking up in the morning.

Back