New Army Rules for Tattoos, Grooming On the Way

Going back many many years. Should you be able to look squared away when you're in dress uniform? Fuck yes. Thing is, Dress uniform has a tall collar, tie, and long sleeves. Anything on your neck? yeah, that's derpmode... but PT shirts and brown T's in the platoon bay or doing PT? Guess what, there's a goddamn warrior that wears those tats most often due to the meaning they have for them incorporated into their personal warrior ethos and all that shit.

I mean, I have limited ink, but I'd stab a commander in the gut if they told me I had to get either removed. Seriously.

When I was at JPAC I thought that the Army guys with neck and hand tattoos looked pretty unprofessional. Sleeves are one thing but neck, hand and back of the head tatts are something else.

There was a brief moment during FY2006 where Mother Army actually allowed in folks with neck and hand tattoos. Not waivered in, allowed in. While I'm no statistician, I'm confident that some of those let in at that time found Army/deployment life agreeable, and have reenlisted at least once.

My, how the worm has turned.

When I was at JPAC I thought that the Army guys with neck and hand tattoos looked pretty unprofessional. Sleeves are one thing but neck, hand and back of the head tatts are something else.

I concur completely and would have happily gotten anyone drummed out for that shit, had they been under my purview. I mean, I knew guys with pretty awesome ink and it stopped at the cuff. I wasn't even active when I got my shoulder piece done, but I specifically put on my uniform short sleeve shirt(civilian) and had the wife draw a sharpie line at the cuff while standing at attention. Artist got briefed "NOTHING SHALL PASS BELOW" when we were working on placement. It peeks out if I'm moving around, but parade rest/attention it's not visible.. as desired and designed. It's not for "show" for anyone but myself, anyway.

There was a brief moment during FY2006 where Mother Army actually allowed in folks with neck and hand tattoos. Not waivered in, allowed in. While I'm no statistician, I'm confident that some of those let in at that time found Army/deployment life agreeable, and have reenlisted at least once.

My, how the worm has turned.
06 when the Army was desperate to stem the flow of experienced Soldiers out, and get ANYONE to enlist because no one wanted to go to Iraq.

Agree with RK, the Perfumed Princesses are again in control (not like they ever lost control).

Current soldiers may be grandfathered in, but all soldiers will still be barred from having any tattoos that are racist, sexist or extremist.

Once the rules are implemented, soldiers will sit down with their unit leaders and “self identify” each tattoo. Soldiers will be required to pay for the removal of any tattoo that violates the policy, Chandler said.

I don't read the second line as being grandfathered in. Someone will not be able to join with an exposed tattoo under that policy so anyone who then has to sit down with their commander is already in.

If they're sitting down with the CO, it's because they're violating an existing policy, like the one bolded/underlined above.

I'll bow to your Officerness on this one, you understand the jibber jabber of the brass. I was under the impression that racist, sexist or extremist tattoos were already barred.

They will lose a wealth of knowledge because of this, next thing will be anyone with 3 + years will be aloud to separate voluntarily with an honorable. Watched a lot of good men part ways because of chicken shit games. One such episodes plays out in my mind. We where pulled out of the field to paint our rooms because we where getting inspected the following month by General so and so:wall:

This is fucking bullshit. Dudes with tats and have been in, as stated here, are fucking warriors and the Army is pulling this gay ass shit. I personally know of 1 guy I work with, has full sleeves, fucking motivated to serve and would be good at it. Both the Army and USMC would not let him serve because of the tats. That a crock of shit. This shit, IMHO, started in the mid 90's when they were checking us for white power ink post the murders in Fayettenam from those posing shitbag Nazi jerks. Suddenly, we all had Nazi tats until proven otherwise. But you know who checked us? Fucking NCO's with NO, ZERO experience on gang tattoos. Just some fucking asshole with stripes that if he "thought" we had a Nazi tattoo, would report you to higher. Bullshit I say. Loosing a lot of warriors and good guys to some liberal shit.

F.M.

They will lose a wealth of knowledge because of this, next thing will be anyone with 3 + years will be aloud to separate voluntarily with an honorable. Watched a lot of good men part ways because of chicken shit games. One such episodes plays out in my mind. We where pulled out of the field to paint our rooms because we where getting inspected the following month by General so and so:wall:
ACC pulled a Ranger ALO off a JTX so he could fill out some paperwork; Rangers were real impressed with the AF that day.

The Army should never have eased up on the tattoo regulations. So they let a bunch of guys get neck and hand tattoos or join with said tattoos. No big deal! Come aboard! More fun for everyone! Now all of a sudden they pull the rug out from under these guys. Don't worry, you will be grandfathered in. We have your backs! Don't worry about it. It's just for the new guys. In the Marine Corps we have to post an official promotion photo for every promotion above Sgt. Is it the same in the Army? Do you really think that board will give a crap about a grandfather clause when it comes to promoting a guy with neck and hand tattoos? The way the Army sees it, this "problem" will take care of itself in 5-10 years after all these soldiers get passed over and forced out.

Mother Army also requires a DA photo one you make SSG or higher. I'm pretty sure some of the people affected by this have already had to deal with this prejudice by now. NCO rank has been ridiculously easy to attain for years, and while I understand that multiple deployments were the reason for lax promotion standards, "shake n bake" rank was never the solution.

I remember my recruiters being shocked when I showed up for a run one day in a sports tank top and they saw my 4 tattoos. I'd been in the office weekly for 3 months at that point, they had no clue even though I'd worn short sleeves and I have one on each arm. They had to document them but there wouldn't have been any issue.

Yeah I do think stuff like this will cause people to say fuck it.

I don't believe tattoo regualtions will be what drives out shit loads of people; it'll be all the other stupid shit and the lack of a war to fight that will do the most damage.

I've always recommended that people avoid any tattoo that isn't covered with a polo shirt and slacks. Outside the military, although there may not be "regulations" against them, people in a professional environment will look askew at visible tattoos and people with visible tattoos run the risk of effecting their career options.

I remember my recruiters being shocked when I showed up for a run one day in a sports tank top and they saw my 4 tattoos. I'd been in the office weekly for 3 months at that point, they had no clue even though I'd worn short sleeves and I have one on each arm. They had to document them but there wouldn't have been any issue.

I've had people at the pool express surprise that I even have tattoos, as none of them are visible in normal business attire.

Current soldiers may be grandfathered in, but all soldiers will still be barred from having any tattoos that are racist, sexist or extremist.

Once the rules are implemented, soldiers will sit down with their unit leaders and “self identify” each tattoo. Soldiers will be required to pay for the removal of any tattoo that violates the policy, Chandler said.

I don't read the second line as being grandfathered in. Someone will not be able to join with an exposed tattoo under that policy so anyone who then has to sit down with their commander is already in.

If they're sitting down with the CO, it's because they're violating an existing policy, like the one bolded/underlined above.

Mac's got the right line on this if the article is to believed.
I had to explain each one of my tats to recruiters more than once during 2008, my tattoos were recorded. Violation tattoos were and are banned. This reads that we'll all have to do it again to ensure compliance.
Under the previous policy every new tattoo had to be approved by the unit commander anyway to ensure it wasn't in violation.

One big difference is that previous to this policy, the Army would pay for the removal of tattoos deemed offensive, if you refused you were barred from re-enlistment.

I've always recommended that people avoid any tattoo that isn't covered with a polo shirt and slacks. Outside the military, although there may not be "regulations" against them, people in a professional environment will look askew at visible tattoos and people with visible tattoos run the risk of effecting their career options.

Not that my oldest listened to me; she has more tattoos than I do... :wall:

Back