New here

July

Verified Military
I wasn't planning on making an introduction post, but I've been playing with rejoining service and I'm hopeful the member base here could provide some decent information.

I'm a vet, did 3 years as an 11B at Bragg, nothing crazy, did not do much.
Currently a full time LEO.

I'm looking into going into the Navy reserves as an MA, but I'm having difficulty finding information on career advancement, C-schools and the differences in rates. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

and yes, I understand you guys focus on SOF jobs. I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask questions for non-SOF positions.

Welcome aboard! I feel someone here will have some information of value.

No prob, @Ooh-Rah .

Ah, yes, choose your rate, choose your fate. @July , I wasn't a MA, but I do know one or two. I don't mind asking around re: MA-specific info. What general Navy questions do you have? What questions about rates?
From what I’ve read, it looks like MA branch into different specialities, ie. Corrections, K9, nuclear security. Are these all different C schools? Do MA’s get selected at random?

I literally know nothing about the Navy.

In the Army (as an 11B) when a soldier wanted to progress in their career, they’d drop a packet to undergo a selection process, usually for RASP or SF. Is there any way to progress as an MA, or move into a higher “tier” group or position?

From what I’ve read, it looks like MA branch into different specialities, ie. Corrections, K9, nuclear security. Are these all different C schools? Do MA’s get selected at random?

I literally know nothing about the Navy.

In the Army (as an 11B) when a soldier wanted to progress in their career, they’d drop a packet to undergo a selection process, usually for RASP or SF. Is there any way to progress as an MA, or move into a higher “tier” group or position?

OK, so think of it like this: you were a 11B, but clearly there are more specialties in infantry than a Bravo. Just like in the army if you're a medic you could be a combat medic, you could be an occupational therapy assistant, you could be a physical therapy assistant, etc. Those schools are The Army equivalent of C schools.

So far as I understand, there is a MA school. The reserve not being active, I knew MAs in the reserve who presented their civilian law enforcement credentials and had the NEC (navy term for "MOS") assigned. Being eligible for a C school depends on evaluations, openings for that NEC/needs of the Navy, etc. You can be assigned to a C school if there is a big need, but typically they try to pair your interests to the right school.

Progression in the career, that's a great question, I'll reach out and ask. I don't know a lot about the MA rate. I'll also ask about MA manning levels, which is tied to promotion. Some rates make rank fence super fast, some not at all.

OK, so think of it like this: you were a 11B, but clearly there are more specialties in infantry than a Bravo. Just like in the army if you're a medic you could be a combat medic, you could be an occupational therapy assistant, you could be a physical therapy assistant, etc. Those schools are The Army equivalent of C schools.

So far as I understand, there is a MA school. The reserve not being active, I knew MAs in the reserve who presented their civilian law enforcement credentials and had the NEC (navy term for "MOS") assigned. Being eligible for a C school depends on evaluations, openings for that NEC/needs of the Navy, etc. You can be assigned to a C school if there is a big need, but typically they try to pair your interests to the right school.

Progression in the career, that's a great question, I'll reach out and ask. I don't know a lot about the MA rate. I'll also ask about MA manning levels, which is tied to promotion. Some rates make rank fence super fast, some not at all.
Thank you very much!

I am also trying to be “accredited” for my civilian LE experience, but my recruiter is making it seem like I will have to go through A school (which is fine).

Apparently it’s supposed to increase my rank upon being awarded the MA rate.

Thank you very much!

I am also trying to be “accredited” for my civilian LE experience, but my recruiter is making it seem like I will have to go through A school (which is fine).

Apparently it’s supposed to increase my rank upon being awarded the MA rate.

A school is a breeze if you're already in 'that' field. I was in a pilot program, I tested out of my A school. I wish I had gone because it did cover things to which I had no exposure. I can't speak to the veracity of the claim of getting a higher rating/rank of you do A school. I'd make damned sure it's in your contract.

A school is a breeze if you're already in 'that' field. I was in a pilot program, I tested out of my A school. I wish I had gone because it did cover things to which I had no exposure. I can't speak to the veracity of the claim of getting a higher rating/rank of you do A school. I'd make damned sure it's in your contract.
I’m definitely going to inquire about testing out.

I’m also curious about Navy “warfare” devices/pins, and how many opportunities are available for Reservists to earn them?

I’m definitely going to inquire about testing out.

I’m also curious about Navy “warfare” devices/pins, and how many opportunities are available for Reservists to earn them?

Yeah, good question. Definitely opportunities to earn warfare quals. Depends on the unit to which you are assigned. For example, you can only earn silver (enlisted) wings if you're assigned to a squadron; FMF, only assigned to Marine Corps units, etc.

Back