New Member Intro.

CodyW12

Unverified
Hello!

My name is Cody,

Im not sure exactly what all to say in an introduction that isn't in my profile's "Bio".

However, I'll start with saying that I'm 19 currently in the DEP under an 11x contract with an option 40. I'm enlisted as an E3 due to being in the USN Sea Cadet Corps and completing the Pre-Basic Training checklist.

I have always wanted to join the military, most of my family is active or veterans, and recently decided to do so. I went to college at the Uni. Of TN for a year withy a major in Criminal Justice and was planning to join the Navy afterwards but during my first year I decided that the college life wasn't for me (Yes, I plan to eventually complete my degree). The vast majority of my family that is or has been in the military have been in the Navy. So, as expected I planned to join the Navy. I was in the process of training to acquire a SEAL contract when my cousin, also my recruiter, steered me away from Navy Spec War. I want to do Special Forces due to the fact that I want to be the best of the best. With that said, the problem with getting in the pipeline for BUD/S is that I do not truly want to join the Navy and be a sailor, which I think is essential for becoming a SEAL. Had I washed out of any training or not acquired the contract at all, I would not have been happy with any other rate in the Navy. So, after talking to my cousin and doing a lot of thinking, I chose the Army and the Ranger route. Reason being is that if for some reason I wash out for RASP (What I mean by that is injury or a reason out of my control, because there's no way in hell I'd quit) I can fall back on my infantry mos, which is still a combat position in which I'd be happy with. So, I went and acquired an Option 40, went to MEPS, swore in and signed my contract. I ship out on 22Sept2015.

I also plan to eventually go through the Q-Course and the trainings required to become a Green Beret

And as for my reason for joining this site, it seems like a legitimate way to get in touch with current or past Special Forces service members and get advice, etc.

Welcome, but here's a couple quick points.

- Ranger Regiment is not a springboard for SF, it is its own coexisting entity in USASOC. Not even conventional units will take kindly to the idea of using them as a jumping off point for some thing else. There are people who stay there for their entire career and don't desire anything else- people who have invested a lot in whatever said unit and love it.

IF you make it there, keep your big plans to yourself and focus your energy on being the best at your current job.

- There are a lot of quitters who have said they would never quit. Basic Training will be the hardest thing you have ever done, and it's only going to get harder as you move on.

Back