NG 18 Series/Federal LEO

TacBac

Unverified
For background, I'm currently in AIT for the Army National Guard (35N), and I will be going to an SF Group. My current MOS is highly SCIF/desk based, and as time goes on, I find myself being constantly drawn away from that kind of job, potentially towards 18 series. I've heard that it is possible for 35Ns to end up on SOT-A teams, but I know from other posts that those positions are limited as is, and 35N positions are probably even more limited. I understand that as a support MOS in Group, it's best to focus on one's support function rather than chasing "high speed" things, and I intend to focus on my support job as expected, but my interest in 18 series is growing regardless.

TL;DR: Interested in National Guard 18 series.

On the civilian side, I'm interested in federal law enforcement, specifically in the US Marshals Service. My question is how does Guard 18 series balance with federal LEO positions? I know from reading other posts that the time commitment for Guard SF is rather high, and that obviously takes away from your civilian job. I know that can and often does lead to resentment from coworkers and managers in civilian workplaces.

I'm wondering if anyone in this community is or has been Guard 18 series while also holding a position in federal law enforcement. Additionally, if there is anyone in the US Marshals Service, whether 18 series or not, I would like to know how your office typically fares when a Guardsman leaves for deployment for extended periods. I appreciate anyone's answers.

I’ll give you the worst answer ever: it depends. No one likes losing a guy for a period of time. That said, if you’re an asset to the office, it’s tolerated a little better. The biggest problem I’ve seen is when guys use the guard as a way to escape from the job.

One of my guys came over from 3rd group and transitioned to 19th. It was never an issue when he was gone other than being down a dude for a bit. Another agency here has a guy who is gone all the time and they don’t like it at all but there are problems with how both sides handle that situation.

Going to the Q while employed as an 1811 may cause some issues as it’s an extended trip. The nice thing about the USMS is that they take forever to hire a guy, so there’s that.

Back