NG 18A Platoon time

BirdUp

Space Expert
Verified Military
Greetings exalted ones,

What is the typical past of a National Guard Det. Cdr? Are they former AD looking for more team time? Are they NG Infantry officers? How often do you see non combat arms 18A’s in 19th/20th specifically? What about officers from different components like the Army Reserve?

As a secondary point of discussion. What are some good individual training methods to keep up on your patrolling skills? What is the least awkward way to run battle drills? What other skills should a Lieutenant keep sharp to be prepared for elements of the Q Course like Phase 2? The biggest think I can think of would be successfully getting a ranger tab: big confidence on ability to patrol/lead patrols.

You running real close to trying to G2 a course.

I'd also suggest you use the search function and read previously answered posts relating to your questions.

Leaving this unlocked for now.

Trying to make this more about kick ass training in a positive way rather than a ‘G2 cause I’m so cool’ kind of a way. Noted though.

Have you passed or attended a SFRE or SFAD? Officer slots are harder to get so you'll have to come and crush the SFRE/SFAD.

To answer your question, it all depends on the state you're trying out for and whether or not there is an AD SF unit or military base to feed into the NG SF Unit. AS for the MOS portion, not all states have a NG Infantry unit so the bigger NG SF states such as CO, CA, TX (I'm sure I'm missing a few others) have infantry units to include ABN units to feed into NG SF. The states with a larger NG SF Footprint, your team leader time will be between 18-24 months, smaller states you can expect about 24-48 months or longer (if you have a an ASI on a speciality team).

As for patrolling/SUT land nav tips, yes I echo go to Ranger School and usually the REC and Training dets do a pretty good job in setting up guys to succeed in the Q-course.

So to sum it up, do the SFRE/SFAD and get into the REC/Training Det and see where your short comings are and then focus on fixing or fine tuning them.

Have you passed or attended a SFRE or SFAD? Officer slots are harder to get so you'll have to come and crush the SFRE/SFAD.

To answer your question, it all depends on the state you're trying out for and whether or not there is an AD SF unit or military base to feed into the NG SF Unit. AS for the MOS portion, not all states have a NG Infantry unit so the bigger NG SF states such as CO, CA, TX (I'm sure I'm missing a few others) have infantry units to include ABN units to feed into NG SF. The states with a larger NG SF Footprint, your team leader time will be between 18-24 months, smaller states you can expect about 24-48 months or longer (if you have a an ASI on a speciality team).

As for patrolling/SUT land nav tips, yes I echo go to Ranger School and usually the REC and Training dets do a pretty good job in setting up guys to succeed in the Q-course.

So to sum it up, do the SFRE/SFAD and get into the REC/Training Det and see where your short comings are and then focus on fixing or fine tuning them.
Thank you 18C4V, PM inbound.

Back