NG vs AD

That_Dude

Unverified
So I am coming up on my final year in the Navy, and will be starting my process to switch over to the Army come the end of my enlistment. I am going for SF, bit am unsure on whether or not I should do AD or NG. Reason being is my ultimate goal is to finish my military career in the NG, while working for the FBI (Hopefully the Hostage Rescue Tram). A friend had suggested I go AD to get the full ODA experience, and because AD gets treated better. I'm assuming he meant on missions and such. I am 29 with a wife and two kids now, so am not sure if waiting to complete my 5 years AD would be the best choice. Just looking for some more input.

Next to that, I would love to have a mentor to guide me to success in SFAS, and ultimately the Q course. I am in San Diego, currently working out consistently, and finally improving my running, but can definitely use some more work.

Thanks in advance!

From everything I have read, yes. The website that may have people I can fully trust the info is Federalsoup.com. I saw stuff on reddit with people willing to get others on contact who were supposedly in the same position that I am inquiring about, but nothing is verified.

Sorry about the poor grammar. I'm writing from a phone with a broken screen. I forgot that it adds in, or deletes words and letter pretty often.

I was looking at employment options with the FBI and other three letter agencies recently.
As far as I saw, all of them will take members of the reserve component, provided you can still do the agency job. Your chances of being a Foreign Service Officer or Station Chief, for example, wouldn't happen.

What I couldn't find, was if the FBI would for 100% place you in a location you want.
You could become an SA and get sent to Denver, where 19th group has a battalion, or you might wind up in Alaska, with no SF units around.

Thanks for the replies. From what I have seen, the FBI has to come first, and they place you where they need you. I haven't seen anything on "wish lists" like the military sometimes has. I'm not too sure even how many different places the FBI will station an HRT agent. I'm assuming only a few different locations. I know the headquarters is in VA.

You fill out a wish list of duty stations in the academy, at the end it's really all random...needs of the bureau and such. They refer to it as the monkey throwing a dart at a map of the US.

HRT is not one of the part time FBI SWAT teams, you are at one duty station and it's your full time gig. You have several years in the Bureau before you can even try out for a open HRT canvas. (not counting the military SOF route into HRT), you better get on a division SWAT team first and do a good job, then apply.

Several SA's I work with are in the part time military and travel several states away for their drill, some are lucky and have a unit in the same area as where they are currently stationed....some have had to go into the IRR.

I was hoping the experience on an ODA would help me getting into HRT quicker than starting from scratch. I have done a little reading. If I remember correctly, I won't have to do all of the required field work. That experience I may need might be better found on AD vs NG. It looks like AD might be my best bet if I want a good opportunity to make it to HRT.

I was hoping the experience on an ODA would help me getting into HRT quicker than starting from scratch. I have done a little reading. If I remember correctly, I won't have to do all of the required field work. That experience I may need might be better found on AD vs NG. It looks like AD might be my best bet if I want a good opportunity to make it to HRT.

Under the Tactical Recruitment Program, you still have to do two years of field work and you are assigned to the field office SWAT team. Then you are sent to selection for HRT. If you want to be SF, go head first just with any other program. The FBI hiring road is long and you can be disqualified for someone's interpretation of a a polygraph or not being deemed as most competitive out of the other peers. I'd suggest picking what you really want SF or FBI and choose the right COA. Because going to be an ODA guy just to go to HRT will probably not go well during SFAS.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry it took so long to respond. My initial plan was SF- HRT only came to mind because as a choice to have a job that is easier on my family over time. As of now, my wife is VERY supportive of my choice to go SF, therefore I will be putting all of my focus into SFAS. If down the road things change, then I will shift my focus then. Thank you for the input!

I was looking at employment options with the FBI and other three letter agencies recently.
As far as I saw, all of them will take members of the reserve component, provided you can still do the agency job. Your chances of being a Foreign Service Officer or Station Chief, for example, wouldn't happen.

What I couldn't find, was if the FBI would for 100% place you in a location you want.
You could become an SA and get sent to Denver, where 19th group has a battalion, or you might wind up in Alaska, with no SF units around.

I actually know an FSO who’s in the Guard. There’s no federal agency who will DQ anyone for Guard service. I also had a buddy who got hired by the CIA DO, he simply went on inactive status for the remainder of his enlistment.

Back