No Way Out: A Story of Valor in the Mountains of Afghanistan by Mitch Weiss (Author), Kevin

JohnnyBoyUSMC

Click, click, boom.
Verified Military
It seemed like an impossible mission right from the start.
A Special Forces team planned to land in an enemy-held valley, scale a steep mountain in Afghanistan to surprise and capture a terrorist leader.
But before they found the target, the target found them...
The team was caught in a deadly ambush that not only threatened their lives, but the entire mission. The elite soldiers fought for hours, huddled on a small rock ledge as rocket-propelled grenades and heavy machine gun fire rained down on them. With total disregard for their own safety, they tended to their wounded and kept fighting to stay alive.
When the battle finally ended, ten soldiers had earned Silver Stars- the Army's third highest award for combat valor. It was the most Silver Stars awarded to any unit in one battle since Vietnam.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Way-Out-Mo...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335896908&sr=1-2

Could not put this book down. After reading this, several words come to mind in regards to those brave warriors: honor, courage, valor, brotherhood, balls of steel. One of the best books I've ever read, and inspiring. Honestly these men inspire and make me want to go the recruiting office, sit down and say "I'm not leaving until you give me a 18x contract". Give it a solid 4.5/5, only reason it's not a solid 5 is that the authors writing style was at times a bit confusing, as it was hard to keep track of who was where and doing what at times which could require a minute or two to visualize it all in your mind so you have a clear understanding of what's happening.

I work with one of those guys. A true badass. It's humbling to work among such men.

Just ordered it. I hadn't heard of this one either. Thanks for the review JohnnyBoyUSMC!

NP guys! Shame though, read through it so fast and now I don't really have anything else on my reading list that is out yet lol! Hate when that happens....maybe i'll browse around B&N looking for something of similar quality!

NP guys! Shame though, read through it so fast and now I don't really have anything else on my reading list that is out yet lol! Hate when that happens....maybe i'll browse around B&N looking for something of similar quality!

Can't wait to start it! Gotta finish Lions of Kandahar first which is great if you haven't read it. Also check out this thread http://www.shadowspear.com/vb/threads/the-wannabe-reading-list.2548/#post-30675 (not implying your a wannabe by any means).

Is it about ODA 3336? One the SFers lost his leg but still continued to fight?

aside from what freefalling said, yes, and I won't say any more as I don't wanna spoil any of the book for those that haven't read it yet. story like this people NEED to hear about and appreciate.

Finished today. Good read and was different than what I thought it was gonna be after reading all the news about the battle in Shok valley.

Also CCT Robert Gutierrez seems to be mentioned every time I read about a large battle involving SF. He need to write a book!

Haha, well than it would seem I missed that one. I can understand the disagreement with the use of the word operator being used in any way other than its original way. I still think SFer sounds pretty stupid though haha

Haha, well than it would seem I missed that one. I can understand the disagreement with the use of the word operator being used in any way other than its original way. I still think SFer sounds pretty stupid though haha

Yeah, I butchered the delivery. I meant to say "I like 'SF Operator' better" and watch the "hates" pile up from our SF-qualified brethren (or should I say "SF-ers") but I once again proved I am neither funny nor witty.

Back