Non-Infantry MOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avla24

Unverified
I am really thinking about putting in a package for MARSOC and i am in the comm field. im in very good shape but obviously lack the combat skills one accures in the 0300 field. i was wondering what chance guys like me have in making it though A&S

Speaking from the Navy side of things, there are 0 combat rates (rate = MOS) in the Navy. Yet every SEAL or SWCC class graduates guys who prepare to go into combat. I think it has more to do with the 6" between your ears than it does with your current MOS. Just MHO.

Ah. Well that does make an interesting point. But with there not being any combat MOS's in the Navy then every one is on an even playing field when they start the SEAL or SF training. In the Corps there are Marines who train for years to hone in their combat skills. I assume that puts somebody like me at an advantage. Your brain wont help you out if it dosent possess the knowlege that is necessary. No matter how smart you are.

Here's what I'll tell you. Will there be a sharp learning curve? Yes. Will it possibly not be what you thought it would be? Yes. Finally, will there be other guys going through that have multiple combat deployments? Yes. Does any of that matter? Not really. It all depends on you.

First understand what your asking for. Being that your coming from the support side I'm guessing that the extent of your suck factor isn't too much higher than boot camp or MCT, nothing wrong with that. However, realize that A&S and ITC will take you way beyond your current comfort zone. It will suck hard. Then realize that if you make it to a team things can suck even more, only difference is that now its too late to quite and doing so will probably cost somebody their life. All this stuff looks cool on the recruiting commercials and movies until your the one freezing your ass off on some mountain for three days, or pen'd down by machine gun fire praying that the CAS drops before you get smoked. Let's not forget the work schedule, which in short will keep you busy the majority of the year, and I don't mean nine to five. Not trying to scare you off just want you to realize the magnitude of what your asking for. Its very rewarding, can be really bad ass at times, but also requires a lot of commitment sacrafice and can be dangerous as hell.

Second, if your still dead balls set on doing it don't worry about your competition. Your goal is to go out there and impress the instructors at A&S. There is nothing at selection that will test your "combat" skills. If you go out there and perform you'll get selected and they will teach you everything you need to know to get the job done. Like I said I'm not going to lie its going to suck for you, only because right now your brain already has a barrier set for what you consider hard. Once you break that barrier and establish a new one you'll be amazed at what you can do, but it will take some time and it may not happen until after you graduate ITC, if you graduate. The only limit is your mind.

So it can go one of two ways. You can be one of the seemingly hundreds of Marines I run into who give me there quick "well, I was going to join MARSOC or Recon, but (insert excuse here)", or you will contact a recruiter get the information and take the next step. Either way the balls in your court.

Thank you.. Really thanks for that. Thats exactly the resoponse i was looking for. And yes i am worried about it being hard and not being able to make it. But i worry about everything and i think thats what gets me through most situations and keeps me on my toes. Im one of those people who prides themselves on being able to accomplish things that nobody else can handle.

As far as being occupied for most of the year that im not to concerned about. My family lives 2,000 miles away and i have no girlfriend or kids nor do i want to have either for a while. And i agreee with you about the guys who say they were gonna join but this happened or that happened. Not saying that i wouldnt chicken out but i have been thinking about his for a long time. A lot of people say they joined the Corps to go out and fight the fight and alot are talking a bunch of bull,but i actually did. I have a while yet to figure out of this is what i really want becuase im set to deploy very soon. Hopefully my first tour and a new rank will clear things up in my mind and when i come back things wil be clear.

Really though thank you so much. Awesome feedback

One more thing. Not trying to bust your balls, but this isn't Facebook or Twitter. If you want the professionals on here to take you seriously make sure you use propper grammar. It's the only way to properly convey your intelligence level via typing. Just some advice.

One more thing. Not trying to bust your balls, but this isn't Facebook or Twitter. If you want the professionals on here to take you seriously make sure you use propper grammar. It's the only way to properly convey your intelligence level via typing. Just some advice.

Though I must say... he DID always capitalize "Corps" and get his acronyms correct. LOL

Avla24 - I'm not a Marine, I'm just an old female vet, cranky, loud-mouthed and observant. The biggest thing I've noticed is that the men who's footsteps you want to follow all have one large trait which they either have innately or practice assiduously and that is attention to detail. Practice it in everything - your typing in EVERY venue (including FB, texting, etc), the way you keep your living surroundings, your job, heck even the way you get dressed every morning. Make it your byword, live it and breathe it. It will help when you hit that training.

LL

Well i haven't had my grammar get picked on so much since high school. I will take all that into account on my further posts. Thank you.

Well i haven't had my grammar get picked on so much since high school. I will take all that into account on my further posts. Thank you.

So you cannot even pay attention to your grammar in a post about paying attention to grammar? Sigh.

No one is picking on you. We discussed this exact subject last week via PM:

I unlocked the thread. Do yourself a favor and clean up your grammar and spelling a bit, perfection is not required but basics like punctuation and capitalization are going to make people take you a bit more seriously. Welcome to the site.

Since my earlier PM to you didn't seem to get through, let me try being a little more directive. Get your act together and start posting like a professional Marine seeking help from a group of very experienced and knowledgeable professionals instead of like a 14-year-old girl texting her school friends. You can start by capitalizing the word "I" every time you use it.

If you can't take the time to express yourself as a professional, to professionals, how can you expect any of us to want to spend our time to answer your questions and help you out? Effective oral and written communication is a cornerstone of a successful military career, and it only gets more important as you gain rank or break into SOF. So it may not seem like it now, but we're doing you a favor.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back