NSW vision exception to policy?

Aklud9481

Unverified
Hello. I have gone through NAVMED-P117 and I know that corrected vision worse than 20/25 is disqualifying. At the risk of sounding like a special snowflake who is somehow better than everyone else in my situation my question is: Can I get an exception to policy? I ask this because due to my lazy eye (amblyopia; 20/20 R, 20/50 L) I currently would be barred from even thinking about becoming a reconnaissance corpsman. Now, from just a cursory first page Google search I, a nasty civilian, know that the 8427 SARC rate is critically undermanned while the corpsman rate as a whole is always overmanned. I know my vision will not disqualify me at MEPS to enlist into the navy and would be perfectly happy as an FMF corpsman or even content being on a big grey ship. My recruiter has yet to respond back to any of my calls or e-mails and thus isn't much help. Thank you to anyone who can shed light on my predicament.

Best of luck. Waivers are very difficult to get in any branch right now. Eyesight kept me from SARC 20 years ago. I look forward to hearing what you find out.

Is the 20/20 R, 20/50 L your corrected vision?
Short answer: yes
Long answer: my vision has stayed at 20/20 and 20/50 regardless of corrective actions. I don't have corrected vision because my eye cannot be corrected.

Best of luck. Waivers are very difficult to get in any branch right now. Eyesight kept me from SARC 20 years ago. I look forward to hearing what you find out.
What was wrong with your vision, if you don't mind me asking.

Short answer: yes
Long answer: my vision has stayed at 20/20 and 20/50 regardless of corrective actions. I don't have corrected vision because my eye cannot be corrected.

Do you have any trouble with color vision?

I don't mind, at all. I was 20/75 in one eye, 20/100 in the other, corrected to 20/20. I did fail the Ishihara test, but passed the FALANT. At the time I could not get a waiver. In full disclosure I cannot recall what the requirements were then.

The funny thing about the Ishihara is I have given the exam so often I have the plates memorized.

Back