J0905

Unverified
Hey guys&gals,

I'm in need of a bit of help understanding something I read in the AR40-501 regarding vision requirments for MFFS. I'm planning on getting PRK before I go plan on enlisting and found out if you get it it's not disqualifying if it was done before you go in. But here is the passage I need help understanding~
Section 5-6: Medical Fitness for Initial Selection for Military Free Fall School

(1) Paragraphs 2–12 and 2–13, with exceptions noted in (2) and (3) below.
(2) Uncorrected near visual acuity (14 inches) of worse than 20/50 in the better eye. Uncorrected distant visual acuity
of worse than 20/100 in either eye. Distant vision that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with spectacle lenses. Any
refractive error worse than plus or minus 8 diopters.

Now since my vision (which is at 20/70) and minor astigmatism (under 3 Diopters) will be corrected fully, does that mean that these dont apply to me? Reason I find it confusing is wouldnt be getting the surgery done regardless mean that I have corrected vision? I've heard of multiple guys getting PRK for free from the army while in the language training portion of the Q Course.

Thanks much!

~J

Back