NSWGRU LSU 1

TheNomad

Unverified
Good morning everyone,

I'm up for orders as an 8404 Corpsman and came across NSWGRU LSU 1. Does anyone have any information on corpsman duties at this command? Thanks

I did duty with NSWGRU 3 'back in the day'; the unit had a different name, but it sounds the same. It is supporting the mission, you might be doing physicals/sick call, making sure med records are good and personnel (SEAL and non-SEAL) are compliant. Again, this was...20 years ago?...but I had a blast, it was a great time.

That is kind of what I figured but just wanted to make sure. It does sound great and I will definitely be applying. Thanks for the info.

That is kind of what I figured but just wanted to make sure. It does sound great and I will definitely be applying. Thanks for the info.

I had quite a bit of downtime, so I hung out with the SEAL detachment as much as I could. I PT'd with them, went to the range (I usually outshot them ;-)), I did some other fun things. Some guys were great, some were dicks.

That's awesome, I'm actually trying to put in a package to apply for the DEVGRU support but its a complicated application. Sounds like the same kind of stuff just different Tier. However, I'm in my window right now so ill have to see how much wiggle room they will give me. I do like Coronado though. I went out there for a couple of weeks to do some training a few years ago.

That's awesome, I'm actually trying to put in a package to apply for the DEVGRU support but its a complicated application. Sounds like the same kind of stuff just different Tier. However, I'm in my window right now so ill have to see how much wiggle room they will give me. I do like Coronado though. I went out there for a couple of weeks to do some training a few years ago.

I was at Pendleton for FMSS and then stationed there, spent some time on Coronado. As much as I liked the area, I prefer the east coast. I know zip about DEVGRU support, but imagine it could be good duty.

I'm at Lejeune right now and would rather be just about anywhere else. This is my first duty station as a corpsman my last station being Oklahoma. I'm just going to have to call the detailer and let him know what I want. There is also a spot for a riverine squadron. Honestly I just want to get out and do something worthwhile. Ive been stuck in CONUS for my entire career and am kind of sick of my basically shore duty career. Plus ive never been stationed on a Navy base either and that would be a nice change, haha.

I'm at Lejeune right now and would rather be just about anywhere else. This is my first duty station as a corpsman my last station being Oklahoma. I'm just going to have to call the detailer and let him know what I want. There is also a spot for a riverine squadron. Honestly I just want to get out and do something worthwhile. Ive been stuck in CONUS for my entire career and am kind of sick of my basically shore duty career. Plus ive never been stationed on a Navy base either and that would be a nice change, haha.

Okay, take what I say with a grain of salt. I love Camp Lejeune. I was stationed there, but I also grew up there when my dad was in the Marines, so my perspective is definitely different, and I have family in southeast North Carolina. I prefer the quiet and laid-back, like to get boats out onto the waterways and go crabbing or fishing.

Southern California is great, I loved my time there, too crowded and too much traffic and too expensive.

I would be intrigued about the riverine squadron. That sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

I totally understand about getting out of the states. There are probably some pretty good duty stations outside if you're willing to go to a naval hospital or naval activity. me, I spent my entire day as a corpsman with the Marines, even when I got my commission in the Nurse Corps I had a billet with the Marines. I hated being assigned to the hospital. Hated it with a passion.

You are in a good spot. I think you will have a lot of opportunities.

Yeah, I understand you. The area around here isn't bad at all. I was born and raised in Alabama so its very similar. its just there are so many AD military here with their families that my wife hasn't been able to get a job due to being too experienced in her field (banking). Basically its impossible to get a job that isn't entry level right now and she's been actively trying for over 2 years now. Since I have the field med NEC and I'm coming off of shore duty, it is pretty much going to be green side with the marines or if I'm lucky enough to get picked up by one of those 3 applications. the riverine does look awesome. I went through corps school with another fleet returnee who was a GM, he was with one of those squadrons and loved it. That billet is up in Little Creek. I get what you're saying about Cali, I have an aunt who lives in LA and I almost cant stand it there due to how long it takes just to travel a few miles. I hope to try living on base wherever I go just to keep it simple at first. I'm also not a fan of being here in the hospital, I feel like the first classes have too much time on their hands to try and micromanage and try to aim your focus on anything but your actual job. The only billets I see for over seas right now are Japan, and Bahrain I haven't heard much good about either place so far. When did you get out?

I had quite a bit of downtime, so I hung out with the SEAL detachment as much as I could. I PT'd with them, went to the range (I usually outshot them ;-)), I did some other fun things. Some guys were great, some were dicks.

I ran by the SEAL/UDT Quonset huts at Little Creek every morning and insulted them with Marine Corps cadence calls.

Little late here but when I was in my window I called the rivron guys and they said the corpsman billet was just sick call even though the orders had expeditionary orders en route.

For the NSW orders the detailers are going to select them the same as they select for Raider Bn or support, they’ll pick the applications with the highest PRT scores. Or at least that’s how it used to be, I heard they changed a lot of things since I last picked orders.

Basically if you really wanna play your best chances are Regimental orders to go to a line company but as you know it’s pretty much peacetime for most conventional forces so chances are you’re just gonna go on a MEU, but maybe not.

The NSW orders sound cool though, I applied for raider bn and got beat out for them. Raider bn orders are really cool though if you’re fit enough and have desires to go SARC, or so I’ve been told.

Good morning everyone,

I'm up for orders as an 8404 Corpsman and came across NSWGRU LSU 1. Does anyone have any information on corpsman duties at this command? Thanks

That is the “Logistical Support Unit”
It’s all NSW support, but the building is next door to the SEAL Teams and Special Boat Teams. Each team has their own medical though, so you may be working entirely with Logistical support. Also, I’ve heard that there are Riverine Units nearby so it could help you meet people.

Did you end up going? I’m curious how you like it?

Personally I love California and Coronado is beautiful but DevilDoc is right about everything he said about the area.

Back