Nutrition to the extreme?

Okay so can anyone explain why the body will become resistant to medicenes or drugs, but not carry this over to foods/beverages? I'm interested in understanding this.
And when your body becomes tolerant to alcohol, nicotine, opioids, etc, this is an adaptation to a negative stimulus. Your body becomes more efficient at metabolising the poison.

Okay so can anyone explain why the body will become resistant to medecines or drugs, but not carry this over to foods/beverages? I'm interested in understanding this.

This is a nutrition and fitness thread, so this topic is a little off center, but a good topic none the less. There are a couple of reasons that some drugs seem to stop working, both are different clinical settings. They are antibiotics, and pain/ anxiety medications. First the antibiotics.

When you have a bacterial infection, URI's, colds and sore throats, is where this happens the most. Your doc gives you a prescription for antibiotics in an attempt to help you feel better. Both the doc and a sticker on the bottle say take the meds until they are all gone. So the patient starts the antibiotics. After a few days, they feel a lot better. With half the bottle still left, the patient decides to stop taking them, to have some for the next "cold". Later on, you catch another cold, and you grab the pill bottle and start the meds again, saving a trip to the doc's office; pretty smart. You don't get better, in fact, this time it's a little worse. What the patient did was to produce an antibiotic resistant organism because not all of the bacteria were killed. The little bacteria have the ability, given enough time, to build a resistance to the antibiotic. This happens time and time again with the result of a growing number of bacterial infections that are not treatable with the usual antibiotics. The drug industry works to come up with yet more powerful antibiotics and after a while, those drugs start to lose their ability to fight infections. To keep this short, the docs sometimes write for antibiotics that may not be needed. Patients don't follow directions, and we end up with some super bugs out there that kill people. So much for reason number one, on to reason number two.

Pain meds, and anti-anxiety meds. Taken as directed, do not produce addiction but are able to produce dependency, but both addiction and dependency are out there. During my Residency, we were required to do cases using different narcotics and other anesthetic agents. One of the narcotics that we used, and no I'm not going to say what it was, had a tendency to become less effective over time. There is a name for that, and it is called :"Tachyphylaxis". I had to give higher, and higher doses to get the same clinical results, I never used that again after Residency. That narcotic's use was discontinued in surgery and is one of the drugs seldom seen anymore. Back to addiction and dependency, and since the road is the same for both class of drugs, we'll stay with pain meds. Dependency first

Drug dependency with pain meds means that if you suddenly stop the pain pills, the pain returns, and physical withdrawal symptoms will be felt. There are people with chronic pain who take pain medicine as directed. Their pain is more tolerable, and their quality of life is better. I had a 70-year-old patient who took one tablet of Vicoden twice for pain every day. Like clock work her dosage stayed the same for over ten years. The patient was not addicted but was dependent on the narcotic. It differs from drug addiction.

Drug addiction is psychological as much as it is physical. As the pain meds enter receptor sites in the brain, it also produces a euphoria which feels pretty damned good. The feel good is the problem, and the first several highs some get eventually becomes a life's goal. The thing of it is, the great first highs will never be felt again. There are only so many receptor sites for endorphins and/or narcotics. The longer the narcotics are taken, the more likely it is that a Tachyphylaxis begins. After a while, the addict needs to take the narcotics just to feel normal. Without the narcotics they become physically ill, and yet they still chase those first great highs, but they will never find them. Eventually, if unchecked, the addict will take anything that makes them feel good and they are then polysubstance abusers. The side effects of lowered awareness and respiratory depression become a huge problem. Many die from drug overdose, pneumonia, liver failure, and heart failure. To look back through the history of drug addicts, it is not so much the drugs that caused the addiction, but the addict's behavior that became totally drug-centered.

I hope I've been able to shed some light on why some drugs don't work as well after a while. All things in moderation, and follow directions.

Last edited:
I eat a relatively strict Paleo diet. Works for me. At my age processed crap kills me. Dairy and grain too. Balanceed diet is key in whatever program is chosen along with moderation.

It takes me five extra minutes to weigh my food and put the macros in my phone. It's just positioning health over a pack of oreo's or whatever else our fat society eats now. Lastly, I find fresh food tastes a tremendous amount better than processed food. It's interesting that people find something that can sit on a shelf for years, tastes better, than a dish packed with fresh ingredients.
This. Weighing food and logging it can become second nature with enough practice. It also allows you to better understand the food you are ingesting. As for the freshness aspect, I just recently discovered this (last 5 years or so) amazing ability. For example, I used to love eating the Sam's Choice burgers that were loaded with bacon and cheese on top of Nature's Own Butterbread Buns. It was delicious. Until I discovered how to make my own burgers and use fresh baked Publix French Bread Buns. Holy crap what a difference. Not only can I now distinguish between fresh and processed foods, I can taste the different ingredients I put in the homemade burgers (smoke, garlic, bacon, Adobo, ect..), but the fresh bread adds a unique and unforgettable flavor profile.

Back to the OP, is your son trying for a specific goal? Have you asked him if this is how he wants to eat long term? If you haven't asked him, I think it might give you a clue as to what his goals or intentions are for eating and training the way he does. Good luck!

Sir, if I may offer you this - perhaps you should approach this issue with your son by trying to follow some of his nutritional habits. Perhaps if you partake in eating organic, Non-GMO, grass-fed everything he'll enjoy a slice of pizza with you. As far as that hives problem goes I'd see a doctor.

I gained 15 pounds over the course of a few months and decided to start tracking what I ate. Used MyFitnessPal and being able to see the data showed me what I need to be looking into getting more or less of to be healthier. Perhaps your son would value it in the same way.

Otherwise, I'm sure a qualified individual can present a better answer than myself sir. Hope it works out for you.

Sir, if I may offer you this - perhaps you should approach this issue with your son by trying to follow some of his nutritional habits. Perhaps if you partake in eating organic, Non-GMO, grass-fed everything he'll enjoy a slice of pizza with you. As far as that hives problem goes I'd see a doctor.

I gained 15 pounds over the course of a few months and decided to start tracking what I ate. Used MyFitnessPal and being able to see the data showed me what I need to be looking into getting more or less of to be healthier. Perhaps your son would value it in the same way.

Otherwise, I'm sure a qualified individual can present a better answer than myself sir. Hope it works out for you.
So, this thread hasn't been replied to in 628 days, 20 hours and about 40 minutes.

No drama, definitely not a record post, but the OP has probably figured out that diet issue since.

Onward.

Back