NZ Afghanistan base had CIA post

SpitfireV

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!
According to Hager, anyway. It should be noted that he's a cunt.

The New Zealand army's Bamiyan camp in Afghanistan hid and supported a US Central Intelligence Agency base, a new book claims.

Investigative writer Nicky Hager has released a new book on New Zealand's involvement in Afghanistan, Iraq and "the war on terror", claiming officials and military officers misled politicians and even ignored and broke "clear instructions issued by the Prime Minister and the Government".
The book, called Other People's Wars: New Zealand in Afghanistan, Iraq and the war on terror, has been released to coincide with the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
Hager says the contingent at the main New Zealand base in Bamiyan, "had actually been sent there mainly to help the Americans".

He said there were two versions of the operation. The authorised one was fed by the Defence Force's public relations machine and was targeted at the Government and Parliament. Its key messages were that the defence personnel were not going to war, the focus of the mission was reconstruction and that the base was very much a Kiwi operation.

He said the truth was that despite media visits and hundreds of soldiers passing through, "the New Zealand military managed to keep secret the fact that they shared the Bamiyan camp with a US intelligence base" whose personnel shared meals with the Kiwis and relied on them for protection and other practical support.

He said evidence pointed to the intelligence officers being CIA. They were dressed in civilian clothes and told the New Zealand soldiers nothing about what they were doing but had free access to what the New Zealanders were doing.
"The New Zealand public was contributing to the protection and support of the CIA base," Hager said.
In the introduction to his book, Hager said access to classified internal documents provided "a view of a culture where some senior officers wanted to obey the Government only when they agreed with it and otherwise quietly undermined its policies and decisions. The same politicisation is seen with some foreign affairs officials".

He suggested the decision by some military and officials to cross the line and involve themselves in politics dated back to their unwillingness to accept New Zealand's anti-nuclear policy of the mid 1980s.

"For these people, the September 11 attacks became an opportunity to achieve their political goals in spite of, and directly in opposition to, the policies and instructions of their civilian leaders."
Hager's book on the so-called "corngate" affair, claiming a cover-up of imported genetically-modified seed, threatened to derail the 2002 election campaign.

In 2006, his book The Hollow Men, helped topple former National Party leader Don Brash.

It should also be noted that he has a bad habit of putting his nose into things that don't concern him. With that said, if the claims the military misled the government are true (which I hope they're not) then there will be a shitstorm on the way...but then the article doesn't really explain how they misled them.

I don't know the details of this awesome CIA camp the Kiwis seem to be facilitating in the name of eating orphans and enslaving the poor and oppressed Afghan masses, but does anything think this CIA "camp" is some huge sprawling metropolis with a PRT built around it as a facade? You know what I envision? A couple of contractors in one or two b-huts or whatever they have up there in Bamian and not some sinister, lawless, waterboarding Disciples of Cheney or what-the-hell-ever people think of the CIA these days.

Asshole reporters....

That was much along the lines of what I was thinking- an outpost of a couple of guys and maybe a donkey. It's a logical place for it, even though Bamian was/is (relative to the rest of the country) reasonably quiet.

Does this asshole know that there is a USA spy base in NZ?
Get over yourself you liberal cunt. There are bigger things to consider.

I wouldn't call it a US base per sey, but the stuff is certainly shared quite openly with the US (and the other partners).

My PE teacher in high school was an ex USAF bloke who worked a "secret" base in NZ during the 60's.
Opened up to me by telling me that once he knew I was in the Army, but wouldn't say anything else because he signed off on a non disclosure.

My PE teacher in high school was an ex USAF bloke who worked a "secret" base in NZ during the 60's.
Opened up to me by telling me that once he knew I was in the Army, but wouldn't say anything else because he signed off on a non disclosure.

Might have been Irirangi, Waihopi wasn't opened until the late 80s and Irirangi sounds like it was the main SIGINT base until Tangimoana opened up. You'll remember Irirangi from your army days.

I remember Waiouru, Burnham and a lot of bars from my Army days...

Yeah well it's right across SH1 from the main gate next to the golf course so you should have remembered :p Mind you, I've only spent a week at Waiouru and it's kinda a place I want to forget...

The only thing I remember across SH1 is a bar and the fight with tankie wankers we had.

I don't know the details of this awesome CIA camp the Kiwis seem to be facilitating in the name of eating orphans and enslaving the poor and oppressed Afghan masses, but does anything think this CIA "camp" is some huge sprawling metropolis with a PRT built around it as a facade? You know what I envision? A couple of contractors in one or two b-huts or whatever they have up there in Bamian and not some sinister, lawless, waterboarding Disciples of Cheney or what-the-hell-ever people think of the CIA these days.

Asshole reporters....

lmao..

awesome post

Maybe Hagar supports gay marriage. He could marry John Pilger, Julian Assange is already taken.

God Bless the Kiwis... for their pork in Muslim countries and their beer downrange.

Back