NZDF selects new Sniper rifle and AMR

I was on the testing Team from SSIS Quantico in 1990 when we tested all available .50’s in the US. There was a Tm Of 5 enlisted and 1 Capt. to take notes. We used the Aberdeen standard testing SOP, Form 257%+#$#=#, in triplicate, but mostly our Sniper Data Books, experience, and knowledge of what a Sniper Tm could deploy with realistically in weight, ammunition, and of course accuracy, immediate/ remedial action, and functioning in adverse environments, cleaning, etc... We had to go to the National Guard Base south of Quantico to get the ranges we needed, hulks, be out of sight.
The Barrett M82 won hands down in every category except tied in accuracy with 2 other makers. We learned a lot in a short time... You can read about the test somewhere I’m sure as it’s been unclassified since 1992. I won’t go into inches here, 1800 yds there, etc... I will say that it set history in the following categories;
First all enlisted weapon system found, tested, and in Combat in less than 2 months( I was with that Team). From concept ,due to Iraq being the 4th largest mechanized Army in the world at the time, our Two man Tm’s were pretty screwed If caught in the Desert where they could be chased down from a long distance, and have to try to fight off a BMP with their Combat load. It usually takes 5-8 years for a new weapon to get into the system.
The M82 could be broken down into upper and lower receiver without losing its zero because the scope Base is welded to the upper receiver. One man could pack one or the other and re-assemble the gun when the need arrose. Each student at the school set up in Saudi for all of the Snipers in theatre to go through ( 4-5 Days), then return to their unit with the number of rifles assigned to them, had to disassemble and reassemble in under 3 minutes. Of course in a range environment, but out in Indian country your talking 2 minutes to be gun up from movement formation. We had procured as much Rafoos ammunition as possible which was not only accurate but had a tunngston steel carbide penetrator that would punch through light armor, then with an RDX Charge and Zirconium particles( which burn like naplalm in sparkler form) that exploded inside the vehicle as soon as it made contact with air, it was possible to kill an entire BMP crew with one good shot.
It’s had few modifications made to it except those we suggested in ‘90 and it’s proven to be a workhorse. I’ve been to the factory and I’m good friends with Ronnie Barret who is always working on his next weapon. I took the Armorers Course there after I retired because I taught the gun in my classes etc... Ronnie was a big supporter. I won’t go into war story time though I could tell quite a few about the 82 or 107. I’ve marked convoys to help A-10’s chew up Iraqi tanks, Danger Close, blasted an Iraqi FO calling counter battery fire in the bingos...etc... but that’s not important. This new gun will get everyone’s attention I’m sure... When I took an MTT down to Benning for the Ranger Regiment for 4 weeks, the 82 is one of the weapons they were taught. The Regimental Commander came to watch the live fire and bought a bunch that day.
When I was teaching the SOP for rigging the gun for jumping, it had never been done before by anyone. I had a Ranger from 3rd Batt. Jump it at the same time I did to share in the history of the weapon. I started in 1stBatt in the late 70’s but my tour was cut short after only a year in the Bn. It was great to be wearing their asses out and have them ask for more. My Marine Sniper Instructors loved those guys.... I was glad to see that things hadn’t changed in Ranger life after all of those years. The Ranger Snipers all wanted to come to Quantico because they weren’t happy with the Army School. It wasn’t the staff at the schools fault, the SNCOIC, had his hands tied. The stacked training philosophy DOES NOT WORK!!! The School Of Infantry felt a Ranger didn’t need Land Nav, Call for Fire, Mission Planning etc... because they had checked that block. WRONG!!! A two-man Sniper Tm has to be able to do everything a line Company can and then some with the exception of numbers of men and firepower. When they graduated they were qualified FAC’s, Cpl’s briefing the Admiral in charge of anARG and MEU Commander, so thoroughly there was hardly ever a question. Next up, Capt. Finklestink would fall all over hims self trying to brief and get a no-go... Plus Sniper School is unlike any other in the “it’s on just you” category. No Tm Leader, Squad Leader to run to etc... Yes ,many SF both blue and green don’t pass the school. Usually because of a trait they can’t tame. Experienced men up to E-7 have failed. Wow, have I gotten off track... OK... Barrett... I have not seen, shot, or talked to Ronnie about the new weapon, but you can bet, and what sent me off on a tangent, he met with a lot of Operators, paper shooters, mean ugly old dudes like me, and LISTENED!

I like the design of the MRAD. They kept it simple but still produces the goods. Some of the other designs out there especially the multi cal systems are more complicated and/or not as user friendly and robust.

Gafwiki, thanks for the “like partner, your tactical mindset is right on. The few modifications to the original M82 have been a while in coming because the rifle was a hit right out of the box. Ronnie tried to introduce the weapon to the Corps. at Quantico in 82 but user error by the testing or evaluation crew sent him packing. This lack of interest in the rifle or concept delayed the Marines from getting the rifle for another decade.
In Beruit we were getting fire from the multi-story buildings adjacent to the Airport by individual or small Teams of bad guys, and they would pop up in a window, empty an AK or fire an LPG, then split to another location. Our M40A1’s, and crew served weapons were all that could reach them. It was aggregating as hell, because we knew the bad guy needed a couple minutes get his gear before moving to another FFP.
We ended up going to the SEAL’s and borrowing their .50 cal McMillans,mandnI think IverJohnsons too. They had their hands full with other missions and let us have them. Now when the bad guy would jump up,mfiremhis folley, then drop down behind the window seal,,we shot through the wall, receiving no more hosrilemfiremfrom that sector. I started writing what is called A FONS, Fleet Operational Need Statements, requesting the McMillans be added to our T&E ASAP. NO ACTION until Desert Storm. The ARMY SF units had acquired some and began brainstorming SOTIC.
When the Grunt Patrols would move into an area where we had made contact with the .50’s, they confirmed the hits and took pics of the Terminal/Wound Ballistic results. The bodies looked like they had been fragged, as the poor cement stucco combo the houses were made of picked up the Kinetic energy and velocity of the ammo piercing ammo. Hurray for us, fuck them.
During DS As I posted earlier, I went to SWA as a direct rep of HQMC, WTBN, as the Senior Sniper in the DOD. I had three simple , clear , and concise, missions. First Deliver the Barrett’s to SWA and ensure the School was set up, Snipers from every branch were brought in for the school and their guns were permanently issued to their unit with an inflow of Raufoos ammo. Second, locate one Marine Scout/Sniper that had been interviewed by the NY Post and other National papers and Mags, and teach him about OPSEC while kicking his ass all over the Desert. He didn’t em 1/4 of what they dramatically embellished, but some sacred info ( to snipers anyway), had reached the States and embarrassed the PC Marine Corps, which I didn’t agree with, but he did tell them about being called a PIG until you graduate, then a HOG and receiving a HOG’s tooth at Graduation. All of which I was responsible for except the PIG part. That was brought into Sniping here because one of the required reading books for Snipers was “A Rifleman Goes to War” about WWI.
Back in the day British students, in order to graduate, kind of like our 3rd Phase, ( which I reorganized the school into 3 pahases like Ranger School), were given one .303 Enfield Mk4 and one round, and 3 Days to kill a wild pig.
Anyway, I had just returned rom SWA andngot called into the CO’s Office, a competitive shooting legend, and had what little ass I had chewed clean off. He wanted to know “ Why are you calling US Marines, Army Rangers, Navy SEAL’s etc... , some E-6’s and all of my Instructors except me were Sgt’s E-5’s, PIGS. Thinking quickly I made up acronymns for each...I said Sir “Those are Acronyms we use in the Sniper world... PIG- Professionally Instructed Gunman, HOG- Hired On Gunman ( its been changed to Hunters of Gunmen by Jack Heistermann’s crew , it’s cooler I guess... and a Wild Boar is an Instructor. I’m the Marine Corps’s 1st Master Sniper As I’m the only Marine to run all three schools, wrote the POI, and my Kill count Sir... you and Carlos and Col Chandler made me that remember?.. He said Acronymns huh...OK I’ll call the Commadant and sell it... Then he said , what are these damn HOG’s teeth? I explained how I came up with that at 1st MarDiv SS School in 87. That’s a whole story I’ll tell later is anybody is interested...
When I was still at Quantico I was sent to SOCOM to a classified meeting about SF money and sniper requirements. The JCOS has just had JSOC pool all SF funds into one bank so to speak. No more blank checks for some units and none for others etc... I was a Moderator representing the Corps. SF Green wanted NVG’s for Sniper rifles. At the time we were using the SIMRAD and depending on the gen and individual piece of gear, you might attach and do well, then sometimesmnot so well. They had mucho glass in them which was a red flag. SF Green wanted to start an R&D program with their specs etc... so the could shoot at night. SF Blue wanted their primary Sniper rifle in .300 Win Mag., and other devices for the rifle... The meeting started at 0730. The “Court Proceedings” went on until lunch. We all took a break, PT’d, ate chow, came back...round two! I had said nothing to this point, because although my job and experience was SF, I was here to represent the Corps., and there was no MARSOC.
There was one older dude sitting in the corner of the room scowling like he had no interest, and he was in a suit and tie. Everybody knew he was Delta, but we just carried on and ignored him. Finally the Director of the Board ask me the Corps position on this matter. I said Sir, we’re happy with our M40A2, and I have written a FONS and point paper, plus a public letter to the Commandant to get variable power scopes. We are also happy with our M82A1’s. Improvements in ammo understanding/ technology are being made eatery week. We can cover any assigned mission in our A/O... I want Sniper Companies in each Bn plus There own HQ. Had that happened retention of some of the best Snipers ever would have stayed in! If I had to side one way or the other it would be with SF Green. We need to provide accurate Sniper fire 24/7. Our current .308 will shoot as well or better than the WIN MAG except the WIN MAG will get yo an extra 2-300 yards. You’ll have to re-barrel every 1,000 rounds( after the Basic course), Training in Extreme Long Range, excessice recoil, etc... all will be costly and take time.
That’s when we found out the Man in Civies was Delta. He stood up, slammed the table and said my Snipers in Delta already Shooter the Win Mag and we haven’t rebarrelled since I’ve been there. he called somebody on his batphone and asked them to call him back with the average numbers fired through their Sniper Rifles. They called back and he said about 7,000.i said with all due respect Sir, what are you shooting at, train cars??? There was one laughter, but he turned red as a beat!! Later that evening we all met at the beer trough, he asked me if I was interested in his outfit, and it took balls to stand up to him. I told him I have to fight with every rank imaginable to get the basic gear and equipment to run the most difficult school in the military. I said one day everybody will see my predictions were on the money, scream for more Snipers, and Snipers will and should be recognized as SF Operators even in a line Company’s! He said, Amen Brother... Ammunition is key to the .50 cal’s Accuracy and functioning! I think I was dismissed before they broke down the money but I believe a compromise was reached and each was allowed to go with their projects.

@PapaBoar your posts are great to read and horrible to read. Could you PLEASE hit the Enter key twice between paragraphs? You're putting down some awesome stuff, but the lack of a line/ gap separating the paragraphs makes it hard to read.

Good shit, man. Seriously. Keep on with it.

Back