New Zealand's New Rifle

Did Australia finalize their award? I thought they were trying to replace the Steyr?

Replaced it with more of the same. The EF88, replacing the F88.
1RAR has it on issue, 30,000 units to follow. Fixed barrel, different receiver, bolt carrier and bolt are the same to look at, the butt group is a bit different, over all it's lighter and better balanced and better suited to carry extras like UGL, NADs, torches, sights, bi pods etc.

I've got a funny feeling the police have a few LMTs floating around too. Might see some more in a group buy when this goes through- this govt has been big on that

It was going to be the LMT or the HK416, I wanted the sweet HK goodness but alas.
416's are a good platform, but I don't think them or the SCAR for that matter really deserve the god like reputation some seem to place on them. A lot of the modern AR's from reputable firms have little between them, be they D.I. or Piston

Since they did ask for a bid from LMT. Is this the Lewis you are discussing?

lewisandcase.jpg

It was going to be the LMT or the HK416, I wanted the sweet HK goodness but alas.

The 416 is some piece of kit.. Got to play with one the other day in work. We've recently upgraded our Steyrs (called Mod 14) to encompass picatinny rails, new 2 point sling and an Acog so we'll not be changing for a while. Our SOF now exclusively
use the HK platforms.

Attachments

• Upgrading the Steyr.jpg
    Upgrading the Steyr.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Are they still looking at replacing your guys M-203's or staying with the current one?

How are you guys getting on using Acogs with the height difference between the A3's receiver and an M4s? I remember our weapons team having issues trying to get around it culminating correctingly and we just had to use different holds.

Are they still looking at replacing your guys M-203's or staying with the current one?

If that question is directed at me, yes they are looking at changing our 203 from dimacios (Colt) to the HK side loading 203.

How are you guys getting on using Acogs with the height difference between the A3's receiver and an M4s? I remember our weapons team having issues trying to get around it culminating correctingly and we just had to use different holds.

I 've not heard of any issues.. The picatinny might make the difference.

Personally I like the Steyr, it was my first Military issued rifle and I'm quite comfortable with it.
That said, I think it was the wrong purchase for NZ.
With the ANZUS debacle I understand it, but the ANZUS debacle should never have happened either.

Isn't the LMT a direct impingement platform? If so, I think that is a bad choice by the NZDF. Won't be the first one, won't be that last. Plenty of retardedness in the Kiwi Military as well... :thumbsdown:

Since they did ask for a bid from LMT. Is this the Lewis you are discussing?

The M60's grandfather...

LMT does make some piston rifles, but the weapon that won the NZDF contract appears to be one of their DI models.
Rifle specs at CQB16

Seems like you are correct Rick, thank you.

A step backwards in technology IMO.

If that question is directed at me, yes they are looking at changing our 203 from dimacios (Colt) to the HK side loading 203.
Yeah, cheers for that. I'd seen mentioned on another forum that it was a possibility. Not a fan of the large profile of some of the newer 40mm launchers. It would be interesting to see the interface they come up to attach the H&K to the Steyr

Seems like you are correct Rick, thank you.

A step backwards in technology IMO.
Personally I think the Piston vs DI debate is a big non event and more based on creative marketing. Our 7.62 LMTs run quite cleanly even when suppressed and I've used them side by side with H&K 417's and would take the LMT and day of the week. If its a quality made rifle in the hands of a trained soldier, wether its DI or piston is largely irrelevant. By all accounts the 416 was at the back of the pack compared to the rest of the AR's at the trials.

About the only real advantage of piston over DI is when using suppressors (can affect cycling and dumps a lot more gas in the BCG), IMO. However, I've countlessly seen DI gun shoot more accurate then Piston guns. I've had it explained a bunch a different ways, but however its explained, it seems to be a common factor, when judging accuracy.

Cleaning is obviously a plus in the piston department, but being my DI carbine hasn't been cleaned in about 4 years and several thousand rounds, and that it still runs like a raped date, I'm thinking the argument on cleaning is not so much a big issue.

My $.02

Yeah, I've seen some D.I.'s with a poor combo's of rifle, Barrel length and suppressor type that have blackened all the rds in the mag after 2 shots. Pistons just tend to move the crap elsewhere with other issues i.e. bled off gas out of the gas block damaging PEQ's etc or limiting where they can be placed

Back