Officer roles that see combat

I know it’s been said already but let’s not pretend that many of us here didn’t also harbor visions of combat glory when we were young. Societies have glorified battle since bards sang songs of Gilgamesh.

I can’t blame a young man for wanting to go to war. It’s our job here to educate our young members on what awaits them in battle, and help prepare them if they are called to serve in that capacity

agreed... Although some of us failed out of college and had nothing better to do during a time of no real war outside of peacekeeping missions in the Balkans. Going airborne infantry with an option 40 contract seemed like a safe enough bet. Seven deployments later, and I might have gotten a bit more combat than I was expecting.

I know it’s been said already but let’s not pretend that many of us here didn’t also harbor visions of combat glory when we were young. Societies have glorified battle since bards sang songs of Gilgamesh.

I can’t blame a young man for wanting to go to war. It’s our job here to educate our young members on what awaits them in battle, and help prepare them if they are called to serve in that capacity

Wow...you were at Gilgamesh? :)

Agree with what everyone has posted. My only 2 cents is that when you sign the dotted line, you are writing a check out to Uncle Sam & The USA in the amount of 'up to and including your life,' regardless of MOS/NEC. I don't care if you are a tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, you get my respect for signing up.

I guess my last 2 cents is, it ain't like the movies, that's for sure.

You may get called on to do what you train to do.

You may simply abide by your calling, and train to do.

It doesn't matter either way, the biggest thing is to serve with honor no matter your post, as there's enough ugly in warfare to go around without adding more to your personal mental rucksack.

If you want to be a leader, then lead. You may prove yourself worthy of leading the best, you may not... but the job is to lead, no matter the location or situation.

Back