Oh HELL yeah (K9 related)

Kraut783

SOF Support
Right now I love Rhode Island.....

House Bill Would Allow Police Dogs Injured on Duty to Reach Vet by Ambulance​

StackPath

OLD cop story...once I was a K-9 Officer for a department, a beautiful GSD named "Nosey" One day she went down...I had no idea what had happened...I loaded her up in my patrol unit and went lights and siren to our Vet, probably babbling on the radio like a girl....turned out her stomach twisted and they took her into surgery and fixed the issue....

I don't know a fire department who wouldn't take a Police K-9 code to medical care....but nice to see this in writing =)

Here is Nosey before she passed.

Nosey.jpg

We have labs and the twisted stomach is something they're prone to apparently. I think we lost one to it once so I know the handlers I work with are super vigilant about it now.

Houston's Hermann Memorial Life Flight will transport LE canines in their helo now:

Life Flight launches emergency helicopter service for injured police dogs

Hermann is probably one of the most progressive trauma services in the country. They train their flight crew and local LE on treating canine injuries.

When my mom moved to Spring, Texas, I almost took a job as a flight medic with them, but could not bring myself to leave NC. I often regret that.

Houston's Hermann Memorial Life Flight will transport LE canines in their helo now:

Life Flight launches emergency helicopter service for injured police dogs

Hermann is probably one of the most progressive trauma services in the country. They train their flight crew and local LE on treating canine injuries.

When my mom moved to Spring, Texas, I almost took a job as a flight medic with them, but could not bring myself to leave NC. I often regret that.
Watching Hermann's ER operate during a typical weekend is to watch a masterpiece in action. They are indeed an excellent facility.

Watching Hermann's ER operate during a typical weekend is to watch a masterpiece in action. They are indeed an excellent facility.

I don't want to distract from the thread, because allowing EMS and helicopter transport to transport canines is an unbelievably awesome achievement. But.... Yeah. One of my mentors, an ER doc at UNC-CH knew the very infamous Red Duke, one of the big trauma honchos there. I had gone down to visit my mom, and my mentor set up an opportunity for me to meet him and spend some time observing in the ER. It was a phenomenal experience, I just walked over to their life flight office, and chatted with them, I happened to have a resume' with me, and they had a position open. Within 2 hours I had a tentative job offer. I just could not bring myself to leave North Carolina, and some of the opportunities I had here. And a girl figured into it as well, wouldn't you know.

Back