Ohio EMS contemplating 3 strike policy for OD response

Sure. I think that makes great economic sense and would be a great policy fit in the Philippines where selling drugs is a death sentence. There is no way we could do anything like that here though for myriad political and social reasons.

Three strikes and you're put into mando rehab and community service? That could probably work but it would cost money to implement.

They also should issue out baseball bats, so as the EMT decides the dope heads fate, they can go all Negan on that ass. Dope heads shouldn't have open casket funerals, durrrrr, their just stupid dope heads...

And yes I'm being sarcastic.

Sure. I think that makes great economic sense and would be a great policy fit in the Philippines where selling drugs is a death sentence. There is no way we could do anything like that here though for myriad political and social reasons.

Three strikes and you're put into mando rehab and community service? That could probably work but it would cost money to implement.

I see your point on one hand sir but on the other hand, the relapse percentage is absurd for those on dope. Say we send 10 to mandatory state funded rehab, 9 will relapse, ending up right back at square one. I can't tell you how many junkies I Narcan, see them clean after a while, usually, since I live in the A.O. I work, seeing em at Wally world and shit. They come up to me, thank me, blah blah blah. A month later, working, find em in the car, on in the recovery house, dipped on dope, back to square one and I am the motherfucker again for using Narcan.

M.

I see your point on one hand sir but on the other hand, the relapse percentage is absurd for those on dope. Say we send 10 to mandatory state funded rehab, 9 will relapse, ending up right back at square one. I can't tell you how many junkies I Narcan, see them clean after a while, usually, since I live in the A.O. I work, seeing em at Wally world and shit. They come up to me, thank me, blah blah blah. A month later, working, find em in the car, on in the recovery house, dipped on dope, back to square one and I am the motherfucker again for using Narcan.

M.
I don't diasagree. Our system won't let people kill themselves with their poor choices though.

Same state as my story in the OP:

I guess I am surprised that this is even an option to him. (not to permit it). If people begin dying, isn't there some type of liability?

Sheriff won't let officers use Narcan, says life-saving drug not helping heroin epidemic

An Ohio sheriff is taking a stand in the war on heroin addiction that he said will get at the root of the epidemic, and that seems to fly in the face of standard police practices.

Sheriff Richard K. Jones of Butler County, Ohio, told the Cincinnati Enquirerthat he believes the drug naloxone, a substance used to revive overdose victims that is known by its brand name Narcan, is more trouble than its worth.

"I don't do Narcan," Jones told the Enquirer, noting that his deputies "never carried it... nor will they."

It's not a common thing Police carry (at least in Texas), we let FD/EMS do that. But in a large rural area, I could see deputies carrying it, due to response times for EMS.

Earlier, I saw 2 medics, 1 I was an instructor for, in the ER. They were patients. They were on an unconscious in car on highway, next township over. Junkie was wasted on dope. Medics treated and felt ill after the job. The dope is suspected to be the new shit, "grey death", typically, heroin mixed with carfentanyl, a potent narcotic horse tranq. It can be transferred via dermal, THROUGH gloves we wear. 1 medic had a grey appearance and displays EKG changes, the other medic was refusing and I got on his shit, fucking A type rookies. He signed in.

All the while, the fucking junkie is up and drinking OJ and eating an ER turkey sandwich. Fuck these idiots. I stand by my post but can dislike these fuckers nonetheless....

M.

Earlier, I saw 2 medics, 1 I was an instructor for, in the ER. They were patients. They were on an unconscious in car on highway, next township over. Junkie was wasted on dope. Medics treated and felt ill after the job. The dope is suspected to be the new shit, "grey death", typically, heroin mixed with carfentanyl, a potent narcotic horse tranq. It can be transferred via dermal, THROUGH gloves we wear. 1 medic had a grey appearance and displays EKG changes, the other medic was refusing and I got on his shit, fucking A type rookies. He signed in.

All the while, the fucking junkie is up and drinking OJ and eating an ER turkey sandwich. Fuck these idiots. I stand by my post but can dislike these fuckers nonetheless....

M.

Wait what? The drug can transfer to another person dermally? Not even through secretions? That is setting off all of my bullshit detectors.

With some research handling the drug itself can cause reactions via the dermis, but not a patients skin. Maybe I am misreading your post?

Wait what? The drug can transfer to another person dermally? Not even through secretions? That is setting off all of my bullshit detectors.

With some research handling the drug itself can cause reactions via the dermis, but not a patients skin. Maybe I am misreading your post?

No misreading bro. PA Dept. Of Health sent out warnings of dermal transfer a few months back, a couple cops in western PA got hit, now this. We are told it is a mixture of heroin, carfentanyl and something else, @policemedic may know on LE side.

M.

Wow. This stuff is is even dangerous airborne. Looks like this is a big concern for the dogs used to sniff out heroin.
This was part of a release from the Indiana state DHS:

Gray Death, a particularly dangerous mixture of heroin, fentanyl, carfentanil and other synthetic opioids, made its way to Indiana this week, causing an overdose in central Indiana. Partners warning about the increased risk are State of Indiana Emergency Medical Services and the State Fire Marshal, part of the Indiana Department of Homeland Security; Indiana State Department of Health and the Indiana State Police.

A persistent increase in opioid overdoses tied to the synthetic drug carfentanil have been seen around the country, prompting concern. …

Carfentanil, which is used as a tranquilizing agent for elephants and other large mammals, is 10,000 times more potent than morphine and 100 times more potent than fentanyl. It is often mixed in with other drugs such as cocaine or crystal meth — and often drug users have no idea their drugs have been tainted.

Carfentanil and other fentanyl-related compounds are a serious danger to public safety, first responder, medical, treatment, and laboratory personnel. These substances can come in several forms, including powder, blotter paper, tablets, and spray. The substance can be absorbed through the skin or accidental inhalation of airborne powder.

“With the pervasive nature of opioids and addiction, there is always the chance that family or friends may come into contact with dangerous substances when working to save their loved one,” said Dr. Michael Olinger, State Emergency Medical Services Medical Director.

Wow. This stuff is is even dangerous airborne. Looks like this is a big concern for the dogs used to sniff out heroin.
This was part of a release from the Indiana state DHS:

Yep. PA State Police sent out the update. A row home, here in Philly, was just raided for a heroin lab. Philly PD/homeland security was there, in tyvek suits. Bad juju. I'm so goddamned tired of this nonsense.

M.

Back