Old/new member Komodo 11

MSgtdominick32

Unverified
I signed up here many many years ago before the server updated or crashed so here I am posting an introduction again years later. My name is Dominick.

I am the nephew of MSgt Michael Maltz. Air Force PJ of Moody AFB. KIA on Komodo 11 in Ghazni on March 3rd, 3 days after start of the Iraq war.

My uncle was a career PJ, the poster boy of pararescue and as a matter of fact his picture was on the pj application pamphlet. He did everything from rescue politicians on The top of Mount McKinley , jungle rescues, nasa space shuttle recovery, and many many war deployments including JSOC and other special missions. He also taught many years at lackland and cocoa beach Patrick air base. He is my hero and I would greatly appreciate any feedback anyone has.

He is a famous figurehead in pararescue and I come here again to get any personal stories on his life. I'm hoping there are others that knew him and could send me any information on him and his life. Myself and my uncle want to do an Internet article on him for the family.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 43
Keith, I think you misunderstand my post.
I apologize it came across in a negative way. I had edited my post before you replied as to avoid this confusion. Though this is Your introduction and we would like to know who You are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah sorry Keith. I had gone to delete my reply at the same time but since I'm a new member I don't have any of the editing functions yet. Lol it's all good, sir.

I mean I really am who I say IM. If any further verification is needed please direct message me. But we are grieving family with some questions on his death and would love to hear from people that knew him.

Welcome to ShadowSpear! I hope you are able to find what you are looking for whether here or elsewhere.

I soft deleted and trimmed some posts. If you're one of the affected parties and have an issue with it, please take it to a private conversation and not this thread.

Welcome aboard.

Thank you, everyone !
And please any pararescuemen don't feel shy to please direct message me. I would really appreciate anyone to step up the new my uncle.

I did not know your uncle. I was with the 175th MD Air Guard in Bagram at the time, there is some possibility that if you contacted that unit you might find someone that knew the PJs. I found this because I was just googling Komodo 11 and it came up, I was thinking about that day for some reason. I am sure there are others that were a lot more involved that think about it a lot more than I do.

As I recall, there was something about a sick Afghan girl who needed help bad and there were some soldiers on the ground with her trying to get her to Bagram. Some bureaucratic BS wouldn't let the Army do it so they called the Medevac and the PJ's were on it. They crashed and that is all I really know. My job was a total cake deal and I never left the base or saw any kind of danger. I just knew when I walked by guys like your Uncle I felt a great sense of admiration and left it at that.

I saluted your Uncle's casket on the flight line in Bagram. It was an honor. The PJ's are a special bunch and it does not get any braver than flying into the night in Afghanistan to try to save a little girl's life, in that kind of terrain and weather. I honestly believe if the world knew more about guys like your Uncle, we would not have such a hard time convincing the folks back home to stick with these difficult missions. That is true for a lot of folks from a lot of countries, there are a lot of brave men and women from all over the world that risked their lives to do the right thing and you just never quite get the sense that the media conveys just how willing and truly noble their motivations are.

As brave as those folks are, I suspect very few were braver than your Uncle. I guess you already knew that.

FWIW, my recollection is pretty vague and I know some of it comes from what I have read online. Sorry I cannot be more help.

Just wanted to say thank you so much. PM sent,
Today is the anniversary of my uncle Michael's passing in Afghanistan. So I really appreciate your posting here in the support.

Hey moderator guy. Maybe you could awaited one day before posting that. He was just trying to honor him

I did not know your uncle. I was with the 175th MD Air Guard in Bagram at the time, there is some possibility that if you contacted that unit you might find someone that knew the PJs. I found this because I was just googling Komodo 11 and it came up, I was thinking about that day for some reason. I am sure there are others that were a lot more involved that think about it a lot more than I do.

As I recall, there was something about a sick Afghan girl who needed help bad and there were some soldiers on the ground with her trying to get her to Bagram. Some bureaucratic BS wouldn't let the Army do it so they called the Medevac and the PJ's were on it. They crashed and that is all I really know. My job was a total cake deal and I never left the base or saw any kind of danger. I just knew when I walked by guys like your Uncle I felt a great sense of admiration and left it at that.

I saluted your Uncle's casket on the flight line in Bagram. It was an honor. The PJ's are a special bunch and it does not get any braver than flying into the night in Afghanistan to try to save a little girl's life, in that kind of terrain and weather. I honestly believe if the world knew more about guys like your Uncle, we would not have such a hard time convincing the folks back home to stick with these difficult missions. That is true for a lot of folks from a lot of countries, there are a lot of brave men and women from all over the world that risked their lives to do the right thing and you just never quite get the sense that the media conveys just how willing and truly noble their motivations are.

As brave as those folks are, I suspect very few were braver than your Uncle. I guess you already knew that.

I just read this now. Thank you so so much for that reply. Like I said, today is the anniversary of his passing, so your reply is greatly appreciated. I had no idea you even wrote this here.

@MSgtdominick32 , sorry about the anniversary. Thanks for posting here, consider looking at the 'Fallen Special Operator's' sub as well.

We proudly completed the Maltz Challenge this year in Albuquerque with over 140 athletes competing.

Everyone else, thanks and move it along.

Back