OPSEC Vignette (KGB Identifies CIA Officers at Embassies)

Il Duce

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
SSMP
Military Mentor
Saw this posted in a thread from the Military Intelligence Corps Association (MICA) I thought some might find interesting:

How to explain the KGB’s amazing success identifying CIA agents in the field?

The method explained by the author was just one of many our adversaries used but I think it's especially applicable today given how much of our adversaries intelligence analysis is done using open source.

The frightening takeaway is this guy did it BI. Imagine if he had today's resources.

"The Washington Post reported Tuesday that the CIA has pulled a number of officers from the U.S. Embassy in Beijing."

Wait...we had spies in China? :wall: Wait...it's all in the Washington Post? :wall::wall: There's some irony here I can't quite put my finger on...

Is the answer facebook?
Most people working in a legit capacity have a pretty robust Facebook which at least mentions their job. A real Facebook account with two way communication is hard to fake.

So the answer may be on Facebook...

Most people working in a legit capacity have a pretty robust Facebook which at least mentions their job. A real Facebook account with two way communication is hard to fake.

So the answer may be on Facebook...

I non-concur with your assessment.

Back