Option 40 w/ med waiver

Templar

Unverified
I have seen this question answered before and understand that it isn't likely to happen, but I want to see how this might apply to my current situation. I am at a crossroad right now and not sure how I should go about it. I have had pretty severe pain in my feet for the past couple of years that I thought was caused by flat feet. After some trial and error with orthotics and a few podiatrist visits, I seem to have found out the true problem. I have a Calcaneal - Naviculer Coalition in both of my feet, which is basically two bones in both feet that are joined together that shouldn't be. The podiatrist recommended surgery on both of my feet in which he would shave the bones down so they are not longer fused together. It would be about a total of a year of recovery before I regain full use of my feet, but the podiatrist said that the operation is a fairly conservative surgery and has a very high success rate. So my question is, if I do decide to get the surgery and I do regain full use of my feet and they don't bother me at all, would I still be required to get a medical waiver? I know it is all speculation at this point but it is better than nothing. If the surgery is something that would DQ me from serving in the 75th then I would forgo it and do my best to fix it with physical therapy.

Get it taken care of before you enlist. You'll have more than enough foot pain without your medical issue. If you don't get this issue resolved, and you're experiencing severe pain right now, then all you're going to do is disappoint yourself when/if you go through training.

I have not. I doubt they would be able to give me an answer without seeing the results of the surgery. So more than anything I am looking for some guidance on what my best option is right now. If the surgery doesn't seem like it will be a big a deal then I want to get it done and out of the way. With recovery and the time it will take me to train after it would be around 2 years until I would be physically capable of getting an Opt 40. My main question is whether or not medical waivers are required, even if it doesn't restrict you. Thanks for the response.

I have not. I doubt they would be able to give me an answer without seeing the results of the surgery. So more than anything I am looking for some guidance on what my best option is right now. If the surgery doesn't seem like it will be a big a deal then I want to get it done and out of the way. With recovery and the time it will take me to train after it would be around 2 years until I would be physically capable of getting an Opt 40. My main question is whether or not medical waivers are required, even if it doesn't restrict you. Thanks for the response.
The recruiters can answer that question for you. My GUESS would be that you'll have to get a waiver. Pick up the phone or go talk to a recruiter face to face about this.

Heed the advice...the best option is to get your feet fixed. Your feet are one of the most important things you need to take care of. Trust me, once you're in your feet will get destroyed.

I am not a recruiter so take this for what it's worth.

I just got back from MEPS a couple of times though because I am going back in. I talked to some kids that had medical issues and they had to wait a while to get all their stuff sorted out. They are very uptight about a ton of stuff now a days compared to when I first came in back in 2007. I would say get it taken care of 100% because if you are thinking of going to the 75th with the high op tempo there, you don't want something huge like feet issues. Your feet will be your most important tool in the Army.

My 2 cents...

Thanks for the advise gentlemen. The way the podiatrist laid the procedure out was a bit intimidating. If the minor surgery doesn't work then the only other way to fix it would be total foot reconstruction, which obviously means no military at all. I guess I am just going to have to stay positive and hope that all goes well. I need to keep in mind all of the bad asses too that have had limbs blown off that return to the military and continue to do amazing things. Hopefully I am just being a pussy and over thinking things :-).

I have had pretty severe pain in my feet for the past couple of years

IF you manage to enlist now with this condition I almost guarantee you'll screw yourself with feet issues and end up quitting or being kicked out.
Get the surgery, go to school while you recover. If you heel* sufficiently then enlist if possible.
You're starting off on the wrong foot* but thats not necessarily a deal breaker. I wouldn't bother with a recruiter until after the surgery, simply because the requirements/waiver parameters will surely change by the time you have heeled* and are ready to look seriously at enlisting.

Get at least a second medical opinion on your condition/surgery too, don't just jump into this with both feet* without knowing all the facts/options.

Good luck.

*:D

Think long term on this and be selfish: if it hurts now it won't be pleasant at 40 or 50. Take the knife, recover and rebuild, and by then A) you'll be ready physically and B) the military's state of transition will be a little more stable.

Good luck.

. So my question is, if I do decide to get the surgery and I do regain full use of my feet and they don't bother me at all, would I still be required to get a medical waiver?
The answer is probably yes for the waiver. And I don't want to discourage you necessarily, but I was sitting in the chair at MEPS ready to sign an 11X Op 40 contract when they pulled me aside to tell me I couldn't due to the fact I had surgery to repair a hernia. So, what I'm saying is there are medical conditions that disqualify you from obtaining an Option 40. If I were you, I'd do your research, talk to recruiters and be as informed as possible.

Also, you said the recovery takes about a year, right? You should check and see how long the military holds out for that specific surgery. I'll use my scenario as an example again. My doc said to take a little over a month off to let the wound heal. After that, I was good to go to do anything. But I had to wait 6 months before I could get the ball rolling with a recruiter. Finding that out should help you get a tentative schedule ready for when you're healed.

Goon175 might be able to help you. Good luck, man.

You're 17. You have nothing but time on your side right now. Get the surgery done, read some books and get laid while you're recovering.

Thanks for all the responses men. I think the next step for me is getting a second opinion. If I get the same response from another podiatrist then I'll get the surgeries out of the way. From what I heard it has a high success rate, so I am sure it will all work out. Thanks again for the advise.

Knock it out, rather now than show up at RASP and washout cause your feet are fucked up. If they let you in, and your feet are tough because you've been working them out after your surgery, you'll be alright. They have waivers for everything man.

...I have had pretty severe pain in my feet for the past couple of years that I thought was caused by flat feet... If the surgery is something that would DQ me from serving in the 75th then I would forgo it and do my best to fix it with physical therapy.

Given that you are symptomatic with fused bones, you aren't even a candidate for enlistment right now, much less Option 40.

All of this excellent advice taken into account. You really don't want to be coming into the course with bad feet already. Our feet take a serious pounding here dude whether its rucking or running, sometimes both at the same time. Do what these senior members have said because from the sound of it you may walk into Cole Range(7 miles) but I promise you won't walk out.

Back