"Outside the Box" and "Disruptive Thinking"

Of course they aren't, but IK absolutely leads to group think. IK to me is something that isn't written down but is just known as how to do something based on culture and experiences, so maybe we are speaking differently as to the definition of IK.

Which is why I was asking if we were speaking the same language, I understand what you're saying, and the unwritten rules are the real killers, because that does indeed change from department to department and unit to unit. I agree with you on this point.

Maybe the medical career field has everything written down, but I've been a part of some very high talent organizations and they need to have that ability to operate within a grey area. By not having everything written down it not only enables that, but it also can push for new ideas.

Maybe the medical career field has everything written down, but I've been a part of some very high talent organizations and they need to have that ability to operate within a grey area. By not having everything written down it not only enables that, but it also can push for new ideas.

It is a two-edged sword. By not having things written down, there's nothing to protect the employee, and it can lead to all sorts of litigation.

And no, we don't have everything written down. But we do have a lot written down. We have to.

I guess I am confused by inclusivity of doctrine, institutional knowledge, being hide-bound and slow to respond, and an inability to change. Honestly, that's never been my experience, in the military, or in any other organization in which I've been a part.

There is not always need for everyone to think outside of the box. I would rather hire guys who will do what I do, which is thinking inside of the box. The tools are often in the toolbox is what my dad always says. Things are usually done for a reason.

But do you know why they are done this way? Just because they are always done that way doesn't mean a better way to do it doesn't exist. Accepting that they are done that way and never going outside of it may lead to loss in productivity or increased costs.
I agree with always looking for better ways to do things. If something is proven to work just fine the way it is, it becomes the standard. The standards will change overtime, adapt to the standards. I will change a motto “If it’s not broke... don’t fix it... unless you can make it better”

Of course they aren't, but IK absolutely leads to group think. IK to me is something that isn't written down but is just known as how to do something based on culture and experiences, so maybe we are speaking differently as to the definition of IK.

There's a distinct difference between institutional knowledge and stagnation. Too often in large organizations such as DoD and big private sector companies, knowledge stagnates and the answer to "why" is that it's "the way we do it". Understanding the underlying information and being able to apply it appropriately to the situation is the key.

I prefer the term lateral thinking and for PSYOP it is kinda a requirement. Persuade, Change, Influence can't always be done the same way for everyone. Sure some things remain the same but when you are face to face with a foreign leader and you need to get what is floating around in their head onto a piece of paper or in your brain for your TOC then "Outside the box thinking" is literally required. Asking a straight forward question like "Have you been supporting XXXXXX in his attacks on American soldiers" will just get you shut down. Whereas something a little more vague and less to the point will get you more information.

But I'm sure there is a TM for every such situation that exists. Improvise, Adapt, and overcome? Meh, that is just silly.

Last edited:
At what point does "outside the box thinking" just become "the box" if everyone in your organization is doing it? I am not certain that most SOF truly think outside the box. Maybe commanders in SOF just give their subordinates a bigger box to operate in. Most SOF personnel I have worked with are very intelligent and creative. That normally inspires great tactical decisions but I'm not sure this is truly outside the box thinking though. It's easy believe you think outside the box if you align the boundaries of that box over that of a infantry corporal.

At what point does "outside the box thinking" just become "the box" if everyone in your organization is doing it? I am not certain that most SOF truly think outside the box. Maybe commanders in SOF just give their subordinates a bigger box to operate in. Most SOF personnel I have worked with are very intelligent and creative. That normally inspires great tactical decisions but I'm not sure this is truly outside the box thinking though. It's easy believe you think outside the box if you align the boundaries of that box over that of a infantry corporal.

Exactly. "Disciplined initiative" is literally one of the six seven (as of this July) Principles of Mission Command. Initiative--within the bounds of law, regulation, military necessity and commander's intent--is not only encouraged but expected.

...but most people don't know that, either, because (again), no one takes the time to read, understand, and utilize doctrine.

Exactly. "Disciplined initiative" is literally one of the six seven (as of this July) Principles of Mission Command. Initiative--within the bounds of law, regulation, military necessity and commander's intent--is not only encouraged but expected.

...but most people don't know that, either, because (again), no one takes the time to read, understand, and utilize doctrine.
It’s way cooler to say you think outside the box because you have a beard and wear cryes.

Back