Pakistan's response to Abbottabad's raid?

I'm surprised there haven't been more inroads between Pakistan and China. China is a natural ally of Pakistan, seeing as China is no big fan of India either.

The Chinese spread their tentacles wide and far. There will be more like this.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened earlier considering the close ties they've had for the last 15+ years.

Pakistan is extremely paranoid about India. They sucking up to China to counter-balance what they fear is a closer alignment of the US to India. Didn't India and China have a short violent confrontation in the 60's/70's?

Pakistan is extremely paranoid about India. They sucking up to China to counter-balance what they fear is a closer alignment of the US to India. Didn't India and China have a short violent confrontation in the 60's/70's?
Yeah, they did. Border disputes. I think it was just a small conflict, not sure.

I guess you can say Pakistan is paranoid about India, but it's not exactly without reason. Large nuclear armed state with an incredibly powerful military on your border- constantly high tensions. I'd be paranoid too.

I get what you're saying. I agree that they're trying to counter US-India relations and maybe just trying to rub our face in the mud for the Osama hit. That's a dangerous game they're playing though. We give them a lot of money in aid....

What are you going to do about it? Unfortunately we need Pakistan more than they need us. Unless people want to take over Pakistan you have to tolerate them until the troops are either removed from Afghanistan or significantly reduced to the point that we can resupply by air only.

I don’t know why we can’t simply work a deal with China to allow our supplies to flow into Afghanistan, also why not bring China into the ball game in Afghanistan? I know it sounds crazy and China historically would not go for this, but with the supposed new relationship between the US MIL and Chinese MIL it would only make since. Fuck Pakistan, maybe we could work some format of a deal to allow China to roll the Paki’s up? This would allow us to take a closer look at the true capabilities of the Chinese military.

Just thinking way outside the box here….lol

1. Taiwan.
2. The China/Afghanistan border is only a tiny sliver.
3. China won't roll Pakistan in any way or form.

The China/Pakistan thing has been going on for nearly 30 years. Would you believe it was set up by the US?

1. Taiwan. I thought we already decided not assist Taiwan with arms sales? What would Taiwan have to do with allowing us to use the China/Afghan port?
2. The China/Afghanistan border is only a tiny sliver. Big enough to get convoys through and thats all we need.
3. China won't roll Pakistan in any way or form. Maybe, but Pakistan is just as much a threat being unstable to China as to India.

Good points, but again I am looking at it way outside of the norm here. I think it would allow China to show some military power, put their "global power" hat on and allow us to get a good idea on our relations with China, also again allowing us to check out their capability.

But I would agree it will probably not ever happend.

I don’t know why we can’t simply work a deal with China to allow our supplies to flow into Afghanistan, also why not bring China into the ball game in Afghanistan? I know it sounds crazy and China historically would not go for this, but with the supposed new relationship between the US MIL and Chinese MIL it would only make since. Fuck Pakistan, maybe we could work some format of a deal to allow China to roll the Paki’s up? This would allow us to take a closer look at the true capabilities of the Chinese military.

Just thinking way outside the box here….lol

Geography- the land border between AFG and China is in the extreme northeast of AFG; you'd still have to get the goods up to that part of the country, which IIRC is extremely mountainous. It would be very expensive, plus you'd have a much longer logistics trail to secure. Then once you get into AFG, you have to get all that stuff south to where it needs to go.

Politics- why would they help us? They're quite happy to repress the Uighurs and profit from the rebuilding effort and the minerals extraction.

Good points, but again I am looking at it way outside of the norm here. I think it would allow China to show some military power, put their "global power" hat on and allow us to get a good idea on our relations with China, also again allowing us to check out their capability.

But I would agree it will probably not ever happend.
China isn't really in to the "global power" game, as you put it.They might have border disputes, but they tend to keep their military within their borders or not far from it. I'd say the most provocative stuff they've done with their military has been the recent moves by their Navy in the South China Sea, trying to exert their influence in an oil-rich area claimed by many nations.

As long as the Taliban(s) aren't messing with China, I think they'll stay out of the area. Pakistan is a bigger threat to India because the people destabilizing Pakistan are fundamentalist militant nutjobs- they're the ones who've been fighting in Kashmir since they got back from beating the Soviets. If they took power in Pakistan, India would have a big reason to be worried. Have these groups ever threatened China? Not sure.

I think we're still supplying Taiwan. I remember last year the PLA getting pissed that the deal went through and they told us they would never call us again, or something like that.

Back