Paratrooper dies during training at Fort Bragg

AWP

SOF Support
Is "this" part common Army practice?

"All deaths are treated as though they are homicides, he said."

Why wouldn't you treat them as such?

To answer your question, I don't know, but I would treat any death in uniform as a homicide. Maybe it is an accident, maybe not, but we have an obligation to determine the "why" behind a death. The best way to do that is treat it as a criminal investigation.

Why wouldn't you treat them as such?

To answer your question, I don't know, but I would treat any death in uniform as a homicide. Maybe it is an accident, maybe not, but we have an obligation to determine the "why" behind a death. The best way to do that is treat it as a criminal investigation.

@Freefalling , I went back and re-read the article. My initial thought was that they were treating these deaths in specific as a homicide, I lost something in translation. My fault.

Is "this" part common Army practice?

"All deaths are treated as though they are homicides, he said."

Dunno about the Army, but generally any death is initially looked at from a criminal perspective if only to ensure nothing is missed. Many, many deaths are quickly ruled out as homicides by the first responding officers; sometimes it takes a bit more investigation. Common sense exceptions apply i.e. hospice deaths, deaths in hospital consistent with prognosis, etc.

There's a Go Fund Me page for the widow. They were married for less than a year, which means she won't be eligible for any benefits from either the civilian or military side of the house. Hopefully she'll be a little bit better cared for since he was active duty as opposed to retired status, but I don't know for sure. Yes, she'll get the SGLI payout, but that will be it.

Back