Peactime vs. Wartime

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, combat is getting harder and harder to come by in any unit these days. All you can do is volunteer to serve, and work your ass off to get into the best unit possible. That way you will have a better chance to be the right man, in the right position, at the right time.

I'll echo what @DasBoot said, Ranger Regiment and SF are some of the best units to go to off the street, if you want a higher chance at seeing combat.

If all you want to do is DA, then go to Ranger Regiment. If you want to experience a ton of different skill sets, go SF. I love SF but there are times I wish I started my career in Ranger Batt.

To quote the legend, at the end of the day, "You pay your money, and take your chances."
Understood. During my time here, I have observed a commonality in the units that guys wish they went to, or plan to go to. The 75th Ranger Regiment and/or Special Forces. I will try to heed this advice, and bust my ass to try to get there.

Naval Special Warfare (SEAL and SWCC) deploy every year and a half like clockwork, no matter what the situation is. We don’t have a specific region, and we are a global reaction force. (We are small) If you want to see the world, we give guys a good opportunity to experience a lot of different places.

Naval Special Warfare (SEAL and SWCC) deploy every year and a half like clockwork, no matter what the situation is. We don’t have a specific region, and we are a global reaction force. (We are small) If you want to see the world, we give guys a good opportunity to experience a lot of different places.
Is this the case for all of SOF? Are these deployments diversified between Kuwait and Japan, or are there further international travel opportunites?
dying is gay
@Arf If I join the Navy, would my likelihood of dying go up?

Is this the case for all of SOF? Are these deployments diversified between Kuwait and Japan, or are there further international travel opportunites?

@Arf If I join the Navy, would my likelihood of dying go up?

I can’t speak for the rest of SOF, but I have seen posts along the lines of “hoping to get deployed...” from a lot of these guys.

We have a 2 year cycle. Train for a year and a half, deploy somewhere for 6 months. It could be anywhere. You could start out in the Pacific and end up in the Middle East by the end of your deployment.

Again, this is an observation on my part, but it seems that most of the other SOF units have a region depending on the unit they are a part of. They expect to be deployed to that area.

For us, we are so small that we could go anywhere at any time.

As far as likely hood of dying... everyone is feeling the pain of boredom these days, but I have to say that NSW is probably feeling the pain more than most because of the negative media coverage lately. We are hoping things get better with time.

Personally, I love the amphibious stuff the most, so the idea of being far inland for too long stresses me out a bit. When I go SF I will probably go for the dive unit.

As far as likely hood of dying... everyone is feeling the pain of boredom these days, but I have to say that NSW is probably feeling the pain more than most because of the negative media coverage lately. We are hoping things get better with time.
I was trying to make a gay navy joke...
Apologies

That is interesting to hear about the deployment cycle though. It seems like a decent system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back