PJ squadrons.

Very old tread, but great deal of gems dropped here.

My question isn't exactly about Pararescue, more so about CCT. Do all controllers get AST after the IQT? Or does it depends on your STS? Do you get to your STS after CCS. How does one get into the 24th STS, what's the deciding factor behind where you are assigned?

Very old tread, but great deal of gems dropped here.

My question isn't exactly about Pararescue, more so about CCT. Do all controllers get AST after the IQT? Or does it depends on your STS? Do you get to your STS after CCS. How does one get into the 24th STS, what's the deciding factor behind where you are assigned?
Controllers go to STTS (AST) after their initial qualification regardless of which STS they go to.

As far as the 724 STS, @Freefalling is dead on, but I'll pile a bit- thats a 50m target for a guy at your level. Worry about that 5-10 years into your Controller career, and not now.

The deciding factor to where you are assigned is, like all AF AFSC's- needs of the AF. If they're short on 3 levels in Florida? You go to Florida.

The 24th STS won't be discussed. You'll sort that out over your career. We don't discuss SMU accessions on the forum.

Understood.
Controllers go to STTS (AST) after their initial qualification regardless of which STS they go to.

As far as the 724 STS, @Freefalling is dead on, but I'll pile a bit- thats a 50m target for a guy at your level. Worry about that 5-10 years into your Controller career, and not now.

The deciding factor to where you are assigned is, like all AF AFSC's- needs of the AF. If they're short on 3 levels in Florida? You go to Florida.

Thanks for the clarification. My bad if I peeked to far over my mountains, I ship next week and, can't stop thinking about how everything works.

I know the use of CROs has been changing over the past 10 years and will hopefully continue to change as the career blossoms. How do you all (PJs or anyone applicable) view a CRO that is on your team when you are in the field? Especially when he is an LT, is he just a liability or do you feel like having a non-paramedic/officer provides a benefit?

Alternatively do any of you know what a CRO does if he transfers over to an STS? I've gotten varied responses on this but the main idea was always that their main job is to make sure the PJs have an officer looking out for them. Are you no longer operating once you make the switch? Thanks for the help.

I know the use of CROs has been changing over the past 10 years and will hopefully continue to change as the career blossoms. How do you all (PJs or anyone applicable) view a CRO that is on your team when you are in the field? Especially when he is an LT, is he just a liability or do you feel like having a non-paramedic/officer provides a benefit?

Alternatively do any of you know what a CRO does if he transfers over to an STS? I've gotten varied responses on this but the main idea was always that their main job is to make sure the PJs have an officer looking out for them. Are you no longer operating once you make the switch? Thanks for the help.
Sir, I let this breathe for a couple days. I am going to say some things- the BL I want you to take away is that you should be focused on Indoc. The fact that you don't have a mentor, someone that's a CRO that you can ask these questions to- that's a problem. Find one.

How do you all (PJs or anyone applicable) view a CRO that is on your team when you are in the field? Especially when he is an LT, is he just a liability or do you feel like having a non-paramedic/officer provides a benefit?

The prime mission of a CRO is a direct combatant, an officer in charge of the smallest SOF unit the DOD currently fields (6 man teams are the standard in PJ/CRO, as opposed to a "normal" 12 man team SOF). The CRO, specifically, brings Air Power to bear in support of multinational, multidimensional, multidirectional mission sets in one of the most dynamic and most deadly environments that the world can offer. I view every single member of my teams as a professional that can shoot, move, communicate. The fact that you think a CRO may be a "liability" because he isn't a paramedic angers me. That displays a marked misunderstanding of both PJ's and CRO's. There isn't a way to put it other than that. I only have 6 guys- I'd take 20 on most of the missions we get. A CRO brings JFO (and JTAC in some evolving cases) expertise to the heart of the problem. That is, in no way, a "liability".

Yes, I want an officer because they make life saving decisions on the battlefield across the DOD and Combat Rescue Officers are no different. I, the Team Leader, am in charge of the tactical situation on the ground. I am not in command. My CRO is.

Alternatively do any of you know what a CRO does if he transfers over to an STS? I've gotten varied responses on this but the main idea was always that their main job is to make sure the PJs have an officer looking out for them. Are you no longer operating once you make the switch?

This is so far down the road for you, it shouldn't be a question. From whom did you get "varied responses"? CRO's that currently work at STS's? Cause I know most of them.

Their "main job" at an STS is to lead Battlefield Airmen. Tactically, strategically, operationally. An officer's main job- in any branch at any level- is to look out for their men.

Hope I helped.

Sir, I let this breathe for a couple days. I am going to say some things- the BL I want you to take away is that you should be focused on Indoc. The fact that you don't have a mentor, someone that's a CRO that you can ask these questions to- that's a problem. Find one.

How do you all (PJs or anyone applicable) view a CRO that is on your team when you are in the field? Especially when he is an LT, is he just a liability or do you feel like having a non-paramedic/officer provides a benefit?

The prime mission of a CRO is a direct combatant, an officer in charge of the smallest SOF unit the DOD currently fields (6 man teams are the standard in PJ/CRO, as opposed to a "normal" 12 man team SOF). The CRO, specifically, brings Air Power to bear in support of multinational, multidimensional, multidirectional mission sets in one of the most dynamic and most deadly environments that the world can offer. I view every single member of my teams as a professional that can shoot, move, communicate. The fact that you think a CRO may be a "liability" because he isn't a paramedic angers me. That displays a marked misunderstanding of both PJ's and CRO's. There isn't a way to put it other than that. I only have 6 guys- I'd take 20 on most of the missions we get. A CRO brings JFO (and JTAC in some evolving cases) expertise to the heart of the problem. That is, in no way, a "liability".

Yes, I want an officer because they make life saving decisions on the battlefield across the DOD and Combat Rescue Officers are no different. I, the Team Leader, am in charge of the tactical situation on the ground. I am not in command. My CRO is.

Alternatively do any of you know what a CRO does if he transfers over to an STS? I've gotten varied responses on this but the main idea was always that their main job is to make sure the PJs have an officer looking out for them. Are you no longer operating once you make the switch?

This is so far down the road for you, it shouldn't be a question. From whom did you get "varied responses"? CRO's that currently work at STS's? Cause I know most of them.

Their "main job" at an STS is to lead Battlefield Airmen. Tactically, strategically, operationally. An officer's main job- in any branch at any level- is to look out for their men.

Hope I helped.

Amlove21,

I really appreciate all the help. I apologize if any of my questions came off as offensive but your answers give a great perspective. Thanks a lot.

Amlove21,

I really appreciate all the help. I apologize if any of my questions came off as offensive but your answers give a great perspective. Thanks a lot.

^Thoughtful, mature, and smart response. Others should take note.

Back